Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Lid fitment issue! need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Lid fitment issue! need help

ok i was taking off the lid to check the filter see if its all good to go...and well...i took the lid off...but on the front passenger side it seems like its not fitting flush?...im nto 100% sure if it was flush in the first place...but then on the sides its not really staying in tact...is it supposeda be flush or it wont make much of a difference if one at all...whats the best way to install it back on since its not fitting right?
Old 08-01-2004, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The lids wont be perfect, there will be a little bit of the air filter showing. The lid is worth it and makes the engine bay look clean. What exactly are you saying that is does not look flush, double check the back side to make sure the tabs are in.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

there in but the passenger side wont go as much as the driver side...not a big change but noticeable when close up
Old 08-01-2004, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a gap at the back side of my lid bettween the lid and filter. Call up K&N and tell them what the problem is and with out any questions they will send you a gasket free of charge.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:28 PM
Teching In

I've been in an argument with SLP about their lid not sealing. Mine doesn't seal along the back where the two pieces of plastic are welded together to form the "neck." The salesman told me they were aware of the issue, but it was OK since the failure of the lid to seal against the filter, didn't mean it gets unfiltered air. I strongly disagreed! He went on to tell me all their lids are that way and he wasn't going to replace it for me. I am unhappy! I also had a complaint about their shifter rattlilng and transmitting a lot of noise to the inside. No replacement there either.

I shimmed up underneath the filter tray edges on the car with duct tape in places in order to get the lid to seal against the filter. It turned out there was another place along the front where it didn't seem to seal either. I knew the back wasn't sealing because I could easily slide a thick feeler gauge in between the lid and filter seal with no drag. It was way worse with a stock filter than it is with my K&Nn with the extra gasket.

SLP has other stuff I would like to buy, but I won't until they make this right--if they ever do. Right now I am speaking out against their products and recommending against them.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

well i pout it on its not 100% flush but however...it runs jsut fine feels good no whistling and such so i think it is ok? oh well got worried over nothing i guess....ive heard that SLP's doesnt fit all that great anyways...or atleast the K&N Filter...does Holley Powershot do better for fitment? cuz i think its the filter causing it not to fit...whats the best way to install it?