Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 6 years,finally installed Pullies and Ported TB

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile After 6 years,finally installed Pullies and Ported TB

I don't know why I waited so long, I guess I didn't want to try to install them myself or something. My birthday came and my wife bought me the pullies I wanted.This weekend I figured I would give the install a whirl. For the last week I've spent alot of time loooking for the extra long bolt or threaded rod like the one that guy sells to make sure I didn't strip out the crank threads. After six hardware stores I gave up. A little worried I went ahead with the install. Jacked up the car,put about six jack stands under(can never be to safe) and proceeded to remove the crank bolt.I actually broke it loose from above using a 2 foot pipe.Came out very easy.Next crawled under and tried to figure how to hook on the puller.At first I tried the very back of the pulley,but then noticed the three tabs to hook on.I kept the factory bolt loose in place and used that to press against since the puller I had seemed to go inside the crank if I didn't,don't know if that normal or not.As it pulled off, I removed the puller and backed out the crank bolt some more until it was within an eighth or so.Than I had to use a couple of washeres to make up the rest.I was surprised how easy the crank pulley came off after reading stories about it. I put a lttle oil on the ASP and slide it part way on.Used the old bolt to press it on,then removed it to install the new one.Placed loctite on the new bolt,and tightened it to 37ft/lbs then another 100 degrees or so.The I went up top and used the breaker bar to get another 10 degrees.I was afraid of breaking the head off,so stopped there.Next was the altenater pulley.Thats was a bitch to get off.Should have loosened it before I removed the belts,but forgot.I ended up using air ratchet and a pipe wrench.Chewed the **** outa my old pulley,but was garbage anyways.New one installed easy and belts went on fine.If I didnt have to run and get tools it could be done in a coulpe hours if properly equipped.If anyone is going to do it yourself,make sure you have every tool available.On a 1-10 difficulty scale I rate it a 6 without proper tools,4 or 5 if well equipped.

Next was the porting of my TB.Once again,don't know why I waited 6 years to do this.I first used some Magnum steel epoxy and copper tubes to fill that hole.Then startes to hog it out, that epoxy dried quite fast and you can shape it. I went out and bought myself and air tool combo pack at lowes,and told my wife she bought that for me for my b-day as well.Had impact ,air wrench,and die grinder.Apparently my little trim carpentry compressor is not ample to run a die grinder for more then 20 seconds.That made things go slower then needed.Next purchace is a large standing compressor.Anyways,used he die grinder and bits for a while, but found that a drum sander in the die grinder worked better.A dremmel with a flap sander worked well close to throttle blade.I took it down so the front edge was almost a knife edge.Again with proper tools,could be done in a few hours easily.I also used a larger flap sanding wheel in a drill,which worked pretty well for smoothing it out.

It has been raining for 3days now so test driving has been limited.It definatley feels better in throttle responce and seems to pull a bit harder in the midrange,hard to tell so far,more testing needed.
Overall a pretty good day of modding,and not to hard.I'm definatle not waiting 6 more years to do next mod.Clutch,heads and cam,here I come.
How much power would you say I gained, and E.T reduction???
Jay
Old 08-02-2004, 04:08 PM

Dyno it and find out. I still have not dyno'd after the ported TB, but I will this sunday. I do not think I gained anything with it.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Well, finally got some time behind the wheel on dry roads.Nice improvement!.Better then I thought it would be actually.I wasn't expecting to feel much, if any, but there is a nice SOTP improment. GOOD power/dollar in my book.

Jay