Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with header install!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help with header install!!!!

OK so i got my new set of mac headers and y pipe so i take off the old y pipe and have trouble getting cats off. Im doing all this cause its a ory pipe and i want to change, but i have a walmart jack that gets my car off the ground about a foot then have cheap *** tools so i always break the sockets. How much should it cost to have the old ones taken out and the new ones put in? I dont want to do this by my self this time.

thanx josh brown
Old 08-10-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Spray the cat bolts with penetrating lube. WD-40 or anything like that. Let it soak for a while and try it again. You can try a pipe and use that for more leverage onthe ratchet.

Get a better jack. If you are installing them yourself then want the car to be higher then a foot.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

for like 30 bones you can get a set of rhino ramps from walmart, those help alot, and a ratchet wrench, 10 mm i think will be your best friend for the header bolts, as for the cat bolts the penetrating oil is a good suggestion
Old 08-10-2004, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You need to get some better tools. I have a bunch of Craftsman tools I've collected over the years. However, I just got a set of Crecent brand tools from Costco for like $55. Came with just about everything you will need except you'll need to buy some more long 3/8" extensions.

Also, I pulled my CATS off seperately, but I read somewhere that you can take off the exhaust manifold and CAT as a unit. Just pull the Y pipe and then drop the exhaust manifold by taking out the 6 10mm bolts.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool thanx alot guys and by the way i dont want yall to think im poor cause i dont have all the neccisary tools but if you look at my mod list thats were most of my moneys at and i usually have a better place to work on my car but i just thought i would do it at my house.

thanx josh brown