Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird noise on decel and gear changes

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default weird noise on decel and gear changes

i hear a weird noise. dont know where i should have posed this but i figured here should be ok since i think it may be my exhaust. i checked everything out and it seems to be alright but i dont know. when i am on a decel when the car is hot from like 2500 rpm i hear what sounds like the exhaust is shaking or something vibrating on the pipes but i cant figure it out. i dont know if it could be something else or what but anyone have and idea of what i should look for? thanks guys
Old 08-11-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

it only seems to want to do it after the car has been driven for a while and then wont do it. the other night it did it in the parking spot and wont do it again. i was commin down the street tonight in 2nd gear decel for the corner and it was making a pretty good noise. i have band clamps on the exhaust could that be a problem? i could shake the exhasut and kinda hear something but it doesnt seem to be as bad as it sounds when im driving.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put it up on stands or have a muffler shop out it on a rack. Stick a pry bar between the passenger side frame and exhaust where your rear outlet pipes connect to the single pipe. Tach to where you normally here the noise and then try it with the pry bar and see if it fixes it. If so, you are getting a vibration from the exhaust.

I am having a similar problem and have not found a solution yet. GM should have put another hanger between the Y pipe and the exhaust outlets.

Hope this helps
Old 08-13-2004, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might be the heat shield above your muffler. Mine does it.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

i checked it out and it seems to be where the pipes come together at the header and the end of the ypipe. still makes a little noise but at least its nothing thats a big deal