Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR / EGR Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 01:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR / EGR Questions

Okay,

Today we got the exhaust manifolds, cats, y-pipe out. I am removing the EGR and AIR. I have Kooks Race (non-emission style) headers. I know I need a block off plate for the intake form my EGR. Is that all I need, or do I need to block of something with the AIR??

Thanks guys,
Kevin
Old 08-23-2004, 02:19 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you'll also need to plug up a vaccum hose for the air system if you have a 00. if not your good to go
Old 08-23-2004, 03:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used a rubber expansion plug for my EGR block off. I can't remember exactly what size I bought but I do remember that I ended up buying two different sizes. The step between the sizes was too much, either too small and it wouldn't seal up or it was too big and wouldn't fit into the hole.

I had to grind a bit of rubber off of the "too large" size with a belt sander. Painted the cadium plated part of the expansion plug flat black and put a vacum plug on the nut,,, looks like it's factory.

Go ahead and remove your air pump, it weighs something like 5-10lbs and it's right up front.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Also, I am using a Catted Y pipe, b/c I am going with GMMG exhaust. I read a post about possibly leaving in the AIR for the cats? Any opinions on this. I think I am just gonna rip it out and plug it.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always heard the cats are to far back on long tubes for the AIR to be much use anymore. I'm ripping mine out even though I am going with a catted Y.