Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burnt wiring on header question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burnt wiring on header question....

I just had a local shop here in Las Vegas swap out my stock motor for a 408 iron block. In the process they left the silver wrapped wiring harness that runs down the passenger side of the engine bay (it's the larger of the two wrapped wire harnesses) in such a way that the harness was pressing against my header. To make a long story short, the silver wrap was burned completely through but had not yet melted the wires inside.

What wires were effected and should I be concerned?? Also, the small harness that holds the O2 sensor wires is only about a half inch from touching the header....is this too close too??
Old 08-23-2004, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the wires weren't burned yet, just buy you some more of aluminum heat wrap tap and cover that section.

You can also add some wire clips to secure the wires so that it doesn't happen again..

I had it happen with the wire that runs to the AC Compressor... Needless to say, I had to solder in a replacement section.

Good luck..
Old 01-09-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to hijack the thread, but i had the same thing happen, and ever since ive had a weird stumble at idle. it usually does it every couple seconds, and only at idle. u can see the engine shaking, and it shakes a lot. ive already replaced plugs and wires. i dont know much about electrical, so i dont wanna try to fix this myself. i dont wanna cut the wire and solder in a new one cuz i dont know what kind of wire i need or what guage wire i need. any suggestions??