Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem removing borla I pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem removing borla I pipe

I am trying to take off my borla and put a hooker catback on. I got the rear section of the borla off, now I just have the pipe that goes over the axle and the I pipe left. I cant get the I pipe to budge from the Hooker Y, and I have the small over the axle pipe moving from side to side but it wont do anything else. This is a real PITA. Anyone got any suggestions?
Old 08-24-2004, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSUxBlake
I am trying to take off my borla and put a hooker catback on. I got the rear section of the borla off, now I just have the pipe that goes over the axle and the I pipe left. I cant get the I pipe to budge from the Hooker Y, and I have the small over the axle pipe moving from side to side but it wont do anything else. This is a real PITA. Anyone got any suggestions?
Lots of WD40. Let it soak in and work it off. I'm sure that you don't wanna cut your Borla I- since I'm sure you plan on selling it.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
Lots of WD40. Let it soak in and work it off. I'm sure that you don't wanna cut your Borla I- since I'm sure you plan on selling it.
Yeah, I tried that, I used almost a whole can, and I cant even get the I-pipe-Ypipe connection started moving. I might go to a muffler shop and see if I can get them to pull it off on the lift.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSUxBlake
Yeah, I tried that, I used almost a whole can, and I cant even get the I-pipe-Ypipe connection started moving. I might go to a muffler shop and see if I can get them to pull it off on the lift.
What kind of clamp did you use on that connection? Was it a U clamp? If so, those things suck. They crush the pipes and make them almost impossible to disconnect.

Use a Stainless steel band clamp this time if that was the case.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
What kind of clamp did you use on that connection? Was it a U clamp? If so, those things suck. They crush the pipes and make them almost impossible to disconnect.

Use a Stainless steel band clamp this time if that was the case.
No actually they had band clamps on them, they were really tightened down. Borla's pipes have what looks like slits cut in the ends to allow the pipe to contract when you tighten it, I tried prying them open but it isn't helping any.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

What I did was remove the clamps at the I pipe hooks to the Y pipe. and put my foot on the rear end and pulled. wiggled and it came off after some grunting. That leaves you with the Y pipe on the manifolds. Basically get some wood and a hammer. Hammer the Y pipe with the wood inbetween the Y and the hammer. do the other side it will move a couple mm's till it falls off. Worked like a charm.