Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle setting problem, please advise (already searched)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle setting problem, please advise (already searched)

Hey guys,

Sometimes I wish I had jsut left well enough alone on my car. LOL.

Anyway, I did the home port and polish on my throttle body. I was very conservative. Did not do anything around plate circumference. Ever since cam install, car has always idled really rough. I figured while I was in the throttle body, I might as well drill hole larger to fix idle.

Drillign hole worked. I figured, if a little is good, a lot must be better. I drilled hole larger. Well, hole was too large. IAC counts at 0 and fast idle. I read a post about flipping idle screw over and using that for adjustment. I did it. I also read about filling in throttle body plate hole with a rivet. I did this.

I tried using idle screw to get IAC counts between 30 and 50. At about 38, the car is idling way fast, like 1200 to 1500. So, I turn screw in just a hair. Idle goes down, but IAC is at 0. Repeated this several times, never got a good medium.

I have tried a trick I read about, unplugging and repluggin TPS sensor in. That did nothing and my Scanmaster showed TPP at 1 before and after, unless I turn screw. I also tried unplugging and plugging IAC as I have read this resets it. This did nothign either. I also pulled PCM bat and IGN fuses and restarted. This also did not help. I am beginning to think I need a hold in throttle plate and use screw to fine tune IAC, or just make a smaller hole than I had until IAC is between 20 and 50.

Please help. ideas?

Thanks, sorry for long post.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Any ideas?
Old 08-30-2004, 09:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Stock hole size is 5/32".

Currently I am at 13/64" on the hole and I've never touched the throttle blade screw. This has my IACs around 60. I used to have a 7/32" hole that had my IACs in the 45-48 range, but then the idle would fly way up if I popped it into neutral while cruising. For the most part, the car ran better with the 7/32" hole, but I'm going to see if I can use Edit to compensate for the lesser amount of air with the 13/64" hole. Tuning does more for idle and low rpm stability than anything you can do with the TB blade. I've been doing OK tuning on my own so far but if I can't get it to where I'm happy soon, then I'll probably get a full dyno tuning eventually.

I use JB Weld to fill the hole when I want to change sizes. It works great, but it takes a while to dry so I have two TB blades to play with (use one while the other dries).
Old 08-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Any on else? Am I dowing something wrong?
Thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 09:16 PM
Launching!

come on anybody?
Old 08-31-2004, 10:03 AM
Launching!

sombody has faced this before.