Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C recharge help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C recharge help needed

I just started driving my car again after a front end accident. The radiator/A/C condenser were damaged in the accident so i had to replace both. I am assuming that during the accident the damage to the original condenser caused all my refridgerant to leak out seeing as I only get warm air when turning on the A/C now. I would like to recharge the system but have a few questions as I have never done this before. I went out and bought an 11oz can of 134a refridgerant (says its an "all in one" bottle with oil and all that) and a nice charging "gun" with a pressure gauge on it for charging the system. The directions in my haynes manual say to recharge the system at the low side service port. My first question is where is the low side service port? I see a couple of "ports" at first glance on the A/C system, one on the canister and one on the line leading to the top of the condenser. Also when I turn on my A/C right now I don't hear a click or feel the engine speed change like the compressor is engaging. Would low refridgerant level cause the compressor not to engage? Or do I have a problem with the compressor? The A/C worked fine before the accident and all damage was done from the radiator forward. No belt driven engine accessories appear to have been harmed in the accident. My last question is about the seals at the condensor. These lines were the only ones that I had to remove when replacing the condesor. Should I replace these seals before attempting to charge the A/C system? Are these seals available from my local NAPA or Autozone stores?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The low side is the larger fitting. The seals may be at NAPA or AZ, certainly the dealer. I don't know about refrigerant with oil in it but if the system is evacuated you will want to put in 2 oz. of oil. To do it right it should be evacuated also. FWIW I would just let an auto repair shop do it. It would cost about $60 at my shop.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:27 PM
wrencher

It is the other way around on R-134 systems, the low side is the smaller fitting & is near the canister you describe. It will be the only fitting your "gun " will prolly fit.
Your gonna need 28 oz to charge it. Put as much that will go in & then run the A/C compressor to get the rest in. The seals are prolly fine, you should replace the canister, which is the accumulator. In order to replace it you need a vacuum pump IMHO to do it right. Search for A/C I know I've answered these questions alot here.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrencher
It is the other way around on R-134 systems, the low side is the smaller fitting & is near the canister you describe.
Oops, sorry thats right.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Just out of curiosity, why do I need to replace the accumulator? and why is the vacuum pump neccessary? Thanks.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:29 AM
10 Second Club

Doing it by the book they say to replace the accumulator. IMHO if the system has not been open to atmosphere very long you will be O.K.. For best operation you should put a vacuum on it otherwise it will have a big air pocket in the system and it will not work as well as it should. It will get cold though if you just shoot it in.

Quick Reply: A/C recharge help needed