Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Lid Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question SLP Lid Question

Just installed my SLP air lid. I noticed after I was done that the factory air lid has a rubber gasket glued on it to seal with the filter. The SLP instructions did mention this gasket, should I have a gasket here or not?
Old 09-10-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What type of filter are you using, if it is a K&N Air Filter then you will need to put it on your new lid, because the lip on the K&N air filters is not thick enough for the box. If it is another filter you probably do not need it.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:11 PM

There was probably a K&N air filter on the car before. They have a poor fit (they are made to fit more than 1 vehicle) and need the Weather stripping to fit correctly. Use a stock Paper (Fram) filter.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

If you have a K&N and want to keep it, just go buy some weatherstripping of about the same size and put it on the new lid and you should be fine. The weatherstripping they supply seemed cheaply made to me anyways.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:42 PM

I have an SLP unit as well. I was not real pleased with the gap in between the air lid and the filter element, and I use a Fram filter.The problem is in the design of the air lid and not with the filter in my case. There's no reason why this piece wound up costing what it did. Something I learned years ago, was to go and get some of the foam insulation tape that's used in sealing crevices. It's gray in color, and you just peel it from it's reel and apply it to whatever surface you choose. I'm currently using it, and it's held up fine. You can get it at any hardware/home improvement store. You only need the minimum diameter and thickness.