Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulleys!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulleys!

Got a few questions on these:

1. WHats the BIG differance between ASPs Harmonic Crank Pulley and SLPs Harmonic Balancer/Underdrive Pulley?
2. Whats the differance between those 2 and ASPs Underdrive/Overdrive Pulleys?
3. Whats the differance between ASPs Under/Overdrive Pulleys and ASPs Underdrive and Alternator Pulley?
4. Why is the ASP Underdrive pulley at LMP so much more expensive than the ASP Underdrive pulley at TSP?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hitmeoff
Got a few questions on these:

1. WHats the BIG differance between ASPs Harmonic Crank Pulley and SLPs Harmonic Balancer/Underdrive Pulley?
2. Whats the differance between those 2 and ASPs Underdrive/Overdrive Pulleys?
3. Whats the differance between ASPs Under/Overdrive Pulleys and ASPs Underdrive and Alternator Pulley?
4. Why is the ASP Underdrive pulley at LMP so much more expensive than the ASP Underdrive pulley at TSP?
Asnwers
1) The asp is sopose to be a better design or something, where the slp pulley might have charging issues, the asp should be issue free unless you put a big *** after market stereo or something like that.

2) You mean the diff betwen underdrive and overdrive???? Underdrive slows down the mechanism freeign up horsepower, sometimes you might have charging issues so you put an overdrive pulley on the alternator to make up for this. So underdrive slow, overdrive compensates underdrive, or fast.

3) Not sure what you mean but an underdrive pulley is the big main pulley that feeds of the crank and drives all the other pulleys, and the other pulleys are for whatever accesorie they say. ( not sure what you meant with that question so hope that helped)

4) some sponsors sell cheaper than other's, i bougth my asp underdrive pulley for like $170, from one sponsor while another had it listed for like $200. The only diff betwen the 2 was that one came with a bolt the cheap one din't.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LM Performance charges more for everything.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok got it. Now I do have a pretty big stereo system (head unit, 6 speakers, 2 amps, 2 12"s) so I would def need an under and over drive pulley right?

Now I have noticed that LMP does charge more for everything, but what got me is HOW MUCH cheaper TSP is selling them for. TSP has em for 23 bucks each (under and over) while LMP has em for $190....is TSP just misprinting thier price, or am I missing something? should I just jump the gun and grab the ASP pulleys from TSP while I still can?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok got it. Now I do have a pretty big stereo system (head unit, 6 speakers, 2 amps, 2 12"s) so I would def need an under and over drive pulley right?

Now I have noticed that LMP does charge more for everything, but what got me is HOW MUCH cheaper TSP is selling them for. TSP has em for 23 bucks each (under and over) while LMP has em for $190....is TSP just misprinting thier price, or am I missing something? should I just jump the gun and grab the ASP pulleys from TSP while I still can?
$23/ea....I bet you are looking at the belts. ~$190 for the pulley itself is the ballpark you will find everywhere. The pulley is what the belt rides on, then you have to buy the properly sized belts as well.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

misprint by TSP then? THey do have the belts listed there, as well as the pulleys:

http://www.texas-speed.com/9802fbody...tFld=9802fbody

???
Old 09-14-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

misprint by TSP then? THey do have the belts listed there, as well as the pulleys:

http://www.texas-speed.com/9802fbody...tFld=9802fbody

???
OK, your just not under standing this right. The over drive and under drive (ALTENATOR) pulleys are the cheap ones, they are for the alternator. You use an overdrive if you have a big stereo system, or something thats drawing power like a big smokey and the bandidt CB radio You use the underdrive pulley if your not running a system or whatever. The Underdrive crank pulley Also known as the Harmonic Balancer is what you might consider the main pulley or the big pulley of the two pictured on sellers websites. Normally people dont even mess with getting the Underdrive alternator pulley they just get the H/B pulley or the H/B pulley and the overdrive alt. pulley if they have a system. This pretty much cover it. That was not a misprint on there site and if you say LM offers it for 190.00 they are the cheaper ones.

What you need for your application is a Underdrive crank pulley(Harmonic Balancer)= 190.00-215.00 and a Overdrive Alt. pulley= 20.00-25.00
Old 09-14-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
OK, your just not under standing this right. The over drive and under drive (ALTENATOR) pulleys are the cheap ones, they are for the alternator. You use an overdrive if you have a big stereo system, or something thats drawing power like a big smokey and the bandidt CB radio You use the underdrive pulley if your not running a system or whatever. The Underdrive crank pulley Also known as the Harmonic Balancer is what you might consider the main pulley or the big pulley of the two pictured on sellers websites. Normally people dont even mess with getting the Underdrive alternator pulley they just get the H/B pulley or the H/B pulley and the overdrive alt. pulley if they have a system. This pretty much cover it. That was not a misprint on there site and if you say LM offers it for 190.00 they are the cheaper ones.

What you need for your application is a Underdrive crank pulley(Harmonic Balancer)= 190.00-215.00 and a Overdrive Alt. pulley= 20.00-25.00
Ok NOW i get it ...thanks for clearing it all up...damn and here I was thinkin i could get away with a cheapy mod
Old 09-14-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Ok NOW i get it ...thanks for clearing it all up...damn and here I was thinkin i could get away with a cheapy mod

Glad I could clear things up. You are also or much recomended to get a new (adjustable) tensioner. Katech makes a nice one. This is recomended because the H/B pulley is known to throw your belt, but if you get the adj. tensioner it pretty much eliminates the problem. The factory tensioner is not adjustable. You can do a quick search on Ls1tech to find out more but thats pretty much it.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

dude you said you got a stereo i would recomend that you get the asp pulley, it is the best and will give you less issues than any other, and thats a proven fact. Now there is another design out there thats sopose to be pretty good, and thats the mach pulley, however thats a new yet to be proven in the real world design. I got the asp with no regreat, or charging issues.