Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercar sounds out of the LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This titanium system from Corsa for the Vettes sounds pretty exotic for a V8, imo. If you could incorporate that into the install somehow you'd have a decent sound.

http://www.corsaperf.com/flashc5-titanium.htm
Old 09-15-2004, 04:18 PM
FormerVendor

sick, sick, sick
Old 09-15-2004, 04:24 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

As has been said before, the pieces of the equation seems to be:
X-pipe
Z06 mufflers
headers

Probably in that order of importance.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

I don't know if this counts but, I have a 99 vette with Kooks 1 3/4", Kooks xpipe and cats, and ending in a set of Corsa Indys with Daytona tips. It sounds like a Ferrari. Actually I had Stainless Works on it a little while ago with a 3" midsection and it had a nice muscle car sound, much deeper, and I liked that better.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

One way or another, when you get the sound you're looking for, you will absolutely have to post up a clip so we can all hear it. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01 SS Jay
Wasnt there a way to get a similar sound by crossing header pipes under neath the car? Like taking 2 from one side and 2 from the other and crossing them into their opposite collectors? Might be more work than what you are looking for, but i think i remember reading something about someone doing that. Has to do with the firing order, i believe.

Your speaking of 180 degree headers (aka bundle of snakes) and it would be damn near impossible on a production car with the engine in the front but if you can afford one of the Ford GT's then it could be a canadiate. The system is just to cumbersome and the gains from what I know are in a very narrow band and you loose alot in other parts of the powerband.

later,
Bart
Old 09-15-2004, 09:12 PM
Launching!

ok, the sound you want is attained through the high rpm's that exotic engines generate. the ls1 is a more "down low" sort of motor. BUT, you can get a supercarish sound from an ls1 with a stall converter. keeping the motor in the higher rpm's of the ls1's powerband from stop to 150+ will give you the sound you want. I think my car sounds like an exotic with the ory, hooker cat-back and 3200 stall.

go full throttle and it will shift at 4000 rpm's every gear, what could sound better?
Old 09-16-2004, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Just like you'll never get an inline 4 to sound like a V8, you'll never get a V8 to sound like a V12. Each has a very distinct sound - but IMHO I've though the LS1 does sound a bit more supercar-ish then say, an LT1 or 5.0 or 4.6 which sound more like traditional muslce car rumbly V8's.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

The factory slp muffler that came w/ my car had a nice sound, but not loud enough for me. might sound real good with headers.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's really hard to get an exotic sound out of a V8. The motor is what determines most of the sound, then the exhaust system tunes it. If you want exotic sound, start with titanium tubing and go from there. But you wont want to pay that kind of price.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Those Corsa's sound wicked. They will probobly be as close to the supercar sound I can achieve. Thanks alot guys, your all a huge help.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
It's really hard to get an exotic sound out of a V8. The motor is what determines most of the sound, then the exhaust system tunes it. If you want exotic sound, start with titanium tubing and go from there. But you wont want to pay that kind of price.
ditto, different metals vibrate at different frequencies given their composition and elemental makeup. Titanium resonates at a much higher frequency than say, aluminum, or steel, so the exhaust note going through ti pipes will be noticably higher.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont ferrari's use flat cranks? maybe that has something to do with the sound?
Old 09-17-2004, 06:45 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

I don't think I'd want a supercar sound for that application.

A musclecar rumble coming from a BMW would scare the crap outta me.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just recently found out more about the Ferrari exhausts. They use a type of noise cancelling muffler made by Tubi that selectively cancels the certain frequencies that the engineers want to cancel and leaves the "good" frequencies. Tubi is used on all Ferrari's to provide their signature sound. Corsa uses this muffler design as well. Here is a breakdown of the technology.
http://www.corsaperf.com/arsctech.htm
http://www.corsaperf.com/audiomenu.htm
You might try and use the mufflers from Corsa's C5 Pace Car Edition or their Titanium Edition. They both sound similiar, but the Touring Edition doesn't quite sound as high pitched. Maybe you can squeeze those mufflers under the BMW somehow. This isn't the easiest route, but at least you will know for sure the way it will sound.

Now if you have about $1,200-$2,400 you can get some BMW mufflers from Tubi, Kellener, Eisenmann, Supersprint or Remus. There are here vids also. Check the first 5 links on the upper left side and look at the dual exhausts for the M5.
Beastpower products

Here is a link to vids using the Tubi exhaust. Great stuff here.
http://www.scuderiasystems.com/M-Media.htm

Now keep in mind the M5 engine sounds a bit different than the LS1, but maybe those M5 mufflers will still sound good behind the LS1.

Last edited by JasonWW; 11-14-2004 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I just recently found out more about the Ferrari exhausts. They use a type of noise cancelling muffler made by Tubi that selectively cancels the certain frequencies that the engineers want to cancel and leaves the "good" frequencies. Tubi is used on all Ferrari's to provide their signature sound. Corsa uses this muffler design as well. Here is a breakdown of the technology.
http://www.corsaperf.com/arsctech.htm
http://www.corsaperf.com/audiomenu.htm
You might try and use the mufflers from Corsa's C5 Pace Car Edition or their Titanium Edition. They both sound similiar, but the Touring Edition doesn't quite sound as high pitched. Maybe you can squeeze those mufflers under the BMW somehow. This isn't the easiest route, but at least you will know for sure the way it will sound.

Now if you have about $1,200-$2,400 you can get some BMW mufflers from Tubi, Kellener, Eisenmann, Supersprint or Remus. There are here vids also. Check the first 5 links on the upper left side and look at the dual exhausts for the M5.
Beastpower products

Here is a link to vids using the Tubi exhaust. Great stuff here.
http://www.scuderiasystems.com/M-Media.htm

Now keep in mind the M5 engine sounds a bit different than the LS1, but maybe those M5 mufflers will still sound good behind the LS1.
Great research!

But the fact remains that no non-Ferrari will ever have that Ferrari sound while having a different motor. The motor it what determines most of the sound. The Tubi exhaust will just get a little closer to that sound.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check those M5 exhausts, they sound pretty close and are Badass!
Old 11-14-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know a big part of the sound is determined by the cylinder size, that's why those 5L V12's sound so high pitched. They have much smaller cylinders while our LS1's get 5.7L out of only 8 cylinders. The larger the cylinder the lower the pitch, roughly speaking. I have to admit the Corsa's do have that exotic sound in the upper rev range. I don't know how they did it, but I love it.

Quick Reply: Supercar sounds out of the LS1