Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Y-Pipe "Bump Stop" Hanger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Y-Pipe "Bump Stop" Hanger?

LS1 Y-Pipe "Bump Stop" Hanger: It's a well known fact that all LS1 F-Body cars have a "banging" issue when a set of long tube headers are installed. This banging causes the knock sensor to activate, causing a timing retard, taking away much needed horsepower under hard acceleration (usually at a drag strip when traction is ideal). This Mufflex hanger uses a rubber bumpstop that will not allow the Y-pipe to hit the underbody of the car causing this situation. The lower clamp and support rods are made out of stainless steel (tig welded for strength) and the upper rod is zinc coated steel.

I saw this at thunderracing.com. This any use cause i do have an annoying ticking sound during acceleration that i've done everything to try to get rid off.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Keenov
What are you asking?

Is that the question? If so, please translate it.
Does it work?
Old 10-15-2004, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
I saw this at thunderracing.com. This any use cause i do have an annoying ticking sound during acceleration that i've done everything to try to get rid off.
I don't think your "annoying ticking sound" is your y banging. Sounds more like flutter valves in your AIR system. Or it could be an exhaust leak, too. If that's the case, the bump stop will not help you. However, I DO have a banging y-pipe. Is anyone familiar with the Y-Pipe "Bump Stop" Hanger? It costs 40 bucks from Thunder Racing.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

freakynipples69, I can sympathize as I too have this issue. Mine is hitting the driveshaft as well as the floorboard and it to is pulling timing out. It pulled so much timing out tonight when I hit it the car felt as if it died for a moment. It made a pretty lil light show under my car, not to mention all the dash lights lighting up. I am pretty ill about the whole situation and am thinking of going to duals personally. I sure would like to keep the factory style exhaust. I may order the piece you are talking about. Thanks for the info. Cheers !!!

Jim C.

Quick Reply: LS1 Y-Pipe "Bump Stop" Hanger?