Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you go with True Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by houseofboost
John!!! Whats up man?

Well, did the car sound "good" when it had bullets on it? Or was it too much? I mean, I don't mind loud, I just want it to sound good. My old white Z28 with the YS-Trim had 4" mufflex with a SpinTech muffler on it and it was much louder than the black T/A.
It was like listening to a rock concert standing next to the speakers... you don't really know if it sounds good or not all your brain can process is that it is SO FREAKING LOUD.

The beast is much more civil sounding now than it was before, I would say that it was undriveably loud before. Like, even if you like really loud obnoxious exhausts, it was about twice that loud.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

I had the loud mouth before my duals. I was tired of the dreaded 2000rpms drone/resonance.

I had it for a long time. Had the Gmmg been available back then I would never had bought the LM. Not too long after I ordered the LM the Braxxton chambered exhaust (Now GMMG) came out. It might have already been out but I hadnt heard of it. It was resonably priced but I had just paid for the LM and wasnt about to go out and buy something I really didnt need so I just stuck with the Loud Mouth.

For a while I kept wanting the GMMG but didnt want to spend that much money on another exhaust so I looked for an alternative. I came across Stainless Steel Works website but their mufflers were too expensive for an experimental exhaust.

As soon as I found out about the Sweet Thunder mufflers I thought about replacing the resonator with one of the sweet thunder mufflers to save some money. A local guy tried it and didnt recomend it so I decided against it. I then decided to go duals and figured that the GmmG sounded so good as a y-pipe set-up, then a duals set up with similar mufflers would sound even better I order two sweet thunder muffers and made my exhaust. First exhaust Ive truely been happy with. Best part was that I paid for my duals set-up by selling my old set-up. At 2 years its been the exhaust Ive had longest.

Lately Ive been thinking about making a Sweet Thunder catback but I kind of like my car stock.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jhelms
It was like listening to a rock concert standing next to the speakers... you don't really know if it sounds good or not all your brain can process is that it is SO FREAKING LOUD.

The beast is much more civil sounding now than it was before, I would say that it was undriveably loud before. Like, even if you like really loud obnoxious exhausts, it was about twice that loud.
Well, that's fair enough. I think I will probably leave it alone for now, and maybe consider these Sweet Thunder mufflers if I can find some more info on them.

I'm going to take the car to Speed Inc., I believe, and have them re-dyno it and tune it for 21psi. I'd like to see a solid 850rwhp if possible. Stay in touch!

I wonder how these Sweet Thunder mufflers would sound on the car. When did the black T/A take on the name "The Beast"?
Old 10-05-2004, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, that's fair enough. I think I will probably leave it alone for now, and maybe consider these Sweet Thunder mufflers if I can find some more info on them.

I'm going to take the car to Speed Inc., I believe, and have them re-dyno it and tune it for 21psi. I'd like to see a solid 850rwhp if possible. Stay in touch!

I wonder how these Sweet Thunder mufflers would sound on the car. When did the black T/A take on the name "The Beast"?
Les Hankinson of www.gafba.com built the car and over time through various stages (late nineties / early 2000's) it earned the name the Beast.

Les's ls1tech.com member page: https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.ph...oster&t=128399
Old 10-05-2004, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

I am going with true duals because A: Performance, and B: Sound, pretty much everything you could want out of an exhaust comes by doing the most natural things, i am planning on x-pipe cuz it minimizes sound, and i'm going with dynomax bullets cuz they sound good and least restriction, also i'm going 3" cuz i believe you should stay the same size as your collectors.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jhelms
Les Hankinson of www.gafba.com built the car and over time through various stages (late nineties / early 2000's) it earned the name the Beast.

Les's ls1tech.com member page: https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.ph...oster&t=128399

Cool! I'm definately happy with the car so far. However, the knock sensor is showing knock, so that does concern me slightly, I got to look into that.

WB
Old 10-06-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched after I put Longtubes on and had a Loudmouth. I did not like the rasp. I would have just put a bullet in place of the resinator, but I found a complete true dual system for $150. The decision was easy.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Everybody keeps talking about the sound of the system. I was just wondering about the exhaust fumes in the car with the turn downs. A few extra hp won't help if you die from carbon monoxide poisoning on a long trip. Is this a concern??
Old 10-07-2004, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by exstanger
Everybody keeps talking about the sound of the system. I was just wondering about the exhaust fumes in the car with the turn downs. A few extra hp won't help if you die from carbon monoxide poisoning on a long trip. Is this a concern??
I had no issues with this when I had the stock cam. Now if I am sitting at a stop light I can smell it. After I drive the car I usually can smell the fumes on me. Kinda like I've been cutting grass.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are there any clearance issues with TDs. The turn downs seem kind of low on some of the pics i've seen.I'm interested in TDs, I worry about how low they hang on a lowered car. I scrape on some speed bumps with my setup as it is. I also wonder about exhaust fumes with turn downs.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Teching In

anyone have pictures of the side exit pipes? is it kinda like the Nascar side exits? also is there any way of running true duals "with" cats? thanks
Old 10-08-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie's 02 T/A vert.
Are there any clearance issues with TDs. The turn downs seem kind of low on some of the pics i've seen.I'm interested in TDs, I worry about how low they hang on a lowered car. I scrape on some speed bumps with my setup as it is. I also wonder about exhaust fumes with turn downs.
You will lose some clearance. I am not lowered, and I scrape very little. See my above post about fumes.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

I have the Lanes TD with X-Pipe, I am not lowered yet, but the ground clearance is great I have never hit the pipes on anything including speed bumps, I have compared it to people with LTs with the bigger off road Y-Pipe and I bet I have the same or better clearance then they do

Dan
Old 10-08-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Check out my sig. Sweet Thunders sound great IMO. But don't go with them if you don't like loud.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have Sweet Thunder true duals and they are loud and deep. I am told my car sounds like a nascar. That just makes me smile, just like I do every time I turn my car on.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Here you go. This is a thrid gear pull from 60 in my car. I left a little early.

http://216.63.45.68/Video/1honkwonder.wmv
Old 10-08-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

I definately like the sound of the Sweet Thunder mufflers, but it doesn't look like I have the clearance for the correct length. What length of muffler is best for our cars?

Does anyone have a sound clip with bullet mufflers?
Old 10-08-2004, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

I definately like the sound of the Sweet Thunder mufflers, but it doesn't look like I have the clearance for the correct length. What length of muffler is best for our cars?

Does anyone have a sound clip with bullet mufflers?
What do you mean you don't enough clearance? Where are you trying to place them?

I have the 18 aluminized steel mufflers..

You want clips of bullets.
www.ls1sounds.com
Old 10-09-2004, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

The 18" sweet thunders work alright then? I just figured they were too short, as I saw the pictures on your car and they looked much longer than 18".

WB
Old 10-09-2004, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

The 18" sweet thunders work alright then? I just figured they were too short, as I saw the pictures on your car and they looked much longer than 18".

WB
Overall length is like 24". They fit very nicely.. Check my Webshots link, and you'll see pictures of them.