Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLP Headers - Rusting After 4K Miles - WTF?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this header looks different from mine. I have the FLP's but mine have the v-clamp on it. I have not seen one with the bolt type connection.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Order 66
All coated headers are going to rust.

All coated STEEL headers are going to rust.

It's funny how the masses expect perfection and undying support when they spend a few bucks. I had JetHots and they even outlined in their directions to use an aluminum polish to prevent rust. No biggie. My suggestion would be to go stainless next time or be preparred to 'maintain' the coated steel headers during their lifetime.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

and people say buying stainless isnt worth the money.

im happy i did.

i hope they take care of it for you.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ

this header looks different from mine. I have the FLP's but mine have the v-clamp on it. I have not seen one with the bolt type connection.
That two bolt flange is in the back where the x-pipe meets up to the catback in a C5.

As stated before all coated headers will rust over time. There is iron in the coating just like the mild steel and that is what rusts out. We only warrantied the coating as long as the companies who coated them for us. We started using a local company called Lo-Ko Performance and they offered a 3 year warranty we then switched to Jet Hot when they offered a limited lifetime warranty.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

chalk up another one for those of us who tell people to go with stainless steel headers to begin with. Im not gonna say i told you so, cause i prolly didnt, but guys come on. With all the freikin touble we go to when installing these headers, follow one simple rule when doing a header install or any mod to ur car....

If you're gonna do something, do it once, and do it right. You'll waste more time and effort repeating and correct previous actions, than paying more, and waiting so that you can buy better parts.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
FLP is a **** company. Their product is WAY overpriced. I paid 1300 for my headers and they did not fit. Constant banging is an issue. I contacted them several times and complained. They said each car is different from the factory and that is way their headers bang.

If this was true, GM's factory exhaust would also bang; they must think their customers are as dumb as George Bush.
when do your headers bang? i have FLP headers and get a horrible banging noise that i can both hear and feel when i am braking the car. at first i thought it was a broken tranny mount but i replaced that and still get the noise. pisses me off.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unfortunatly when I bought these headers the only choices were Mac, Grots or FLP. Stainless wasn't an option back then. Now I am thinking about a set of stainless works headers.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:07 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have un-coated FLP's that show no signs of rust in or out. Are you guys that are having the rust issues parking in the garage?
Mine is always indoors.