Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free ram air mod results???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default free mod.

I did the free mod and the throttle response is alot better. It might not have helped much else but it's free and you will tell a difference.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

It might not give you a noticable gain or pick you up more than a couple horses on the dyno, but the main reason for doing it is just so the engine can breathe better. So why not do it? It's simple and easy.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Again, I'm the skeptic. Everyone says it feels better, but there are no real numbers. And the reasons not to do it are pulling in hot air during city driving and getting your air filter dirtier. The stock system does a good job of pulling air from a cleaner area (in front of the car instead of from underneath). Just put some washers underneath the airbox to make the front opening larger. Add some weather stripping along the sides and back to keep from pulling in hot air after you raise the airbox. I believe this is a much better mod than the FRA.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

It will make a difference with almost stock. And then you see it when you get mods like cam/headers and heads. Just do it. At most you'd loose a peice of plastic and 5 minutes. Completely pointless to bitch about something that is free.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's free, but it will cost you in dirty filters and a hot running engine in traffic. Other than that, it won't get you but maybe 2 hp, but hey, it's FREE!
Old 10-12-2004, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by glennhl
Everyone says it feels better, but there are no real numbers.
One of the reasons that there are no real track numbers is because few or no people have actually performed the mod at the track and then run the car in the same conditions (air, track surface, fuel levels) as before the FRA.
I picked up almost 1 full mph trap speed from it and cut what might actually be roughly .075 from my ET. But again, the car might've done that on that very next track visit anyway, but I doubt it.

And the reasons not to do it are pulling in hot air during city driving and getting your air filter dirtier. The stock system does a good job of pulling air from a cleaner area (in front of the car instead of from underneath). Just put some washers underneath the airbox to make the front opening larger.
When running a 160 degree thermostat and proper fan settings (and in my case some Redline Water Wetter), the radiator does not get quite as hot and while moving at speed the fast incoming air isn't next to the radiator long enough to get heated up in the first place.

The stock system ALSO pulls air from underneath by the way, just further forward than it is with FRA. There are no true front/bumper air inlets on base Z28s/Formulas/TAs, the air enters after hitting the lip underneath.
Finally, if you don't seal off the front lid/airbox slot (as I haven't) then you will also still get some of that better air from the nose area, though you may then also be losing some of the ram air effect of the FRA as well.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1LT1:

Thanks for the input. Your 1 mph is probably a good number. As far as where the air comes from, it does come from both the front and from below, but the front volume in the nose does a good job of getting the trash out before it goes into the front inlet of the airbox. I would like to see a comparison of the FRA versus raising the airbox. Both increase the inlet area to the filter. As far as engine temps, I doubt that the FRA raises water temps, I was thinking more about the inlet air temp during city driving. Someone posted earlier that they monitored the IAT before and after the FRA and found the inlet air temp was up with the FRA during city driving. That and the fact that the filter does get dirtier, I decided against it.

You are very objective looking at this mod. I find that most people spend the time doing it and they are so proud of what they just did that they just "feel" that it's better. That's human nature, but it's not proof to me that it works. Your 1 mph is the best objective evidence that it actually works. I'd just like to do a mod that doesn't have any negatives anywhere else. My car had a pinging problem when it was hot outside, so I'm very sensitive to anything that raises the inlet air temp.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

I would like to see a comparison of the FRA versus raising the airbox. Both increase the inlet area to the filter.
Ironically I had raised my airbox as well (did it prior to doing the FRA and left it that way) about 3/8 of an inch or so, not sure if it ever helped though.
I am now considering lowering the airbox back to stock and actually sealing the box off completely (other than the FRA area obviously) and see how that works.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It will be interesting to see what you get with it sealed off. Off all the inlet configurations, it appears to me that the SSRA is probably the best from a performance standpoint. It gets decent ram air from in front of the air dam and probably runs cooler because of the plastic it's made from is a better insulator than steel.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

It's free, but it will cost you in dirty filters and a hot running engine in traffic. Other than that, it won't get you but maybe 2 hp, but hey, it's FREE!
Your filter will not get dirty that much quicker. I thought it would too, but I did this mod about 8 months ago and my Fram paper filter still looks fine. And there's a ton of construction and dirt in the air around here too. I just shake it out every month and it's all good.

And you won't get that much hot air coming into the engine anyways.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:05 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After I did it on my 01 Z28, I know I felt better throttle response. After I did it on my 00 SS, I didn't notice ****.

Take it for what it's worth.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the FRA mod at the same time as the lid/K&N and I noticed a significant difference in throttle response, power, and sound. This, combined with my exhaust mods increased my trap speed by 3.5mph. How much of the increase is from the FRA alone, I couldn't say. IMO it's a good mod, and you can't beat the price!

I don't think the heat in traffic is an issue, unless you need a few more HP to do a better burnout than the guy next to you on the "expressway"
If you're concerned about the heat, do the FRA and save up for an SSRA.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:57 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

These are the reasons, plus the danger of sucking up water from puddles, that I was thinking I could cut through the hood brace and route cold air directly to the airbox instead of from underneath the car. On the Firebird-T/A standard hood, it would draw air right through the "grille" inlets and function pretty much the way Ram Air hoods do. I can only find one guy who's done FRA this way. Any thoughts on that possibility?
Old 10-14-2004, 12:24 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RevGTO
These are the reasons, plus the danger of sucking up water from puddles, that I was thinking I could cut through the hood brace and route cold air directly to the airbox instead of from underneath the car. On the Firebird-T/A standard hood, it would draw air right through the "grille" inlets and function pretty much the way Ram Air hoods do. I can only find one guy who's done FRA this way. Any thoughts on that possibility?
Sounds like a good idea, if I had a Formula/TA instead of a Z28 I would seriously consider that.
Damn WS6s have it so good.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
ive totally been wanting to run my intake that way. ive tried lifting the base, FRA, and even tried the lower ws6 base(wouldnt fit under my hood) if someone actually did this and made a kit/video/guide. i think this would be the best solution yet to the firebird/ta hood as far as intake plumbing. i might even be willing to be the first to give it a shot. i have access to all necessary tools and i would of course take pictures.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I did the FRA I didn't notice much of a difference but i could hear more intake noise so I assume it was helping some.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

as soon as i did the FRA I noticed a difference on the highway. I also noticed buying an air filter every other month....do it again....well, i wouldn't but have a little different setup now....
Old 10-14-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

I did it to my SS right after I bought it 4 yrs ago. I feel that the car is more responsive at all speeds and it definately sounds better. My dual/dual sounds throatier and I like the intake growl that you used to hear with carbs.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

well im another that has the FRA and i would say it doesnt help to much till you get your major upgrades, every little mod evenutally helps out in the long run to add as much power as possible.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are we here to race or are we here to keep our air filters clean?