Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oval, Round, or Bullet Muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oval, Round, or Bullet Muffler?

What are the comparisons between the straight throught Dynomax and similar mufflers if they are oval, round, or bullet? Which design makes more power, and which makes less noise?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:03 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Another_User
What are the comparisons between the straight throught Dynomax and similar mufflers if they are oval, round, or bullet? Which design makes more power, and which makes less noise?
i know nothing about the oval or round...but i dont think it could get anymore straight through than a bullet...and it is has hardly if any muffle to it...im guessing because of the great flow the others might take a way a little(if any) hp. just my thoughts.....
Old 10-21-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There really isnt any bad flow numbers with straight through mufflers, like Magnaflow. I had the 4x9 oval and they were suprisingly more quiet than a bullet muffler, but still flow the same. I think the more fiberglass packing makes it quieter.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah a bullet is not really a muffler. You can look straight through. The only muffling it does is a little bit of insulation around the outside with little holes in it. I doubt it restricts any flow.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:26 PM
dug
Banned

According to magnaflow website the shape doesnt effect the sound. I think for noise reduction its just a matter of how big the muffler is. Calculate the volume of the case and subtact the volume of the innertube going through. Generally the oval mufflers have more volume and are quieter, unless you get a huge round muffler. Also straight through mufflers are pretty quiet from idle to about 2k rpms. After that they can get kinda loud but the tone is stays smooth. Its loud without being harsh. At least thats how it is with the ultraflo Im running.

Also the longer the muffler the more quiet it will be but it will also be more restrictive.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very true, Magnaflow mufflers do very well muffling under like 2k RPM, above then, I think they lose their ability to fully muffle and it gets loud as hell, which is why I loved mine so much on my duals. Bullet mufflers are so small however that they really dont muffler anything at all.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Dynomax bullets compared to open headers, will reduce total sound about 30% and still have a lot of cackle. I could not stand it for street driving. Sounded like a total race car, and cops could hear me coming.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Dynomax bullets compared to open headers, will reduce total sound about 30% and still have a lot of cackle. I could not stand it for street driving. Sounded like a total race car, and cops could hear me coming.
I love that sound, I have two cutouts and two bullets in my garage right now waiting to be welded on.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
What about using one of their oval mufflers then? Not as harsh?

Quick Reply: Oval, Round, or Bullet Muffler?