Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air silencers removed

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 08:41 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air silencers removed

Hello. I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but the large black bulbous box things behind my airbox lid, are those the air silencers? They appear to be large chambers of somekind. I have seen many of your setups without these there. If that's the case what kind of advantages would it give me to rid myself of them and how?

thanks everyone
bradford
Old 10-27-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

well, i guess you could call them air silencers. people normally refer to them as "baffles". you can do it two ways. buy an aftermarket lid(tsp is the popular choice, check sponser list --->) or cut them off, measure the hole you've created, and cut out a custom block off plate and use some epoxy sealant to secure it. i've seen that method done, it takes all of an hour and costs about $5. doesn't look as nice as a lid, but is $75 cheaper. if you're going to buy a lid soon anyhow, just wait for the lid. that should be one of your first mods anyhow
Old 10-27-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd just buy a lid. They're cheap horsepower. About 7-10 rwhp for around 80 bucks. They also clean up the look of the engine bay too!