Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coated or uncoated

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default coated or uncoated

Ok i was reading the life span of Pace setters thread and i started thinking about whether i should go coated or not on mine. I have had my car 2 & 1/2 years and i have only put 10,000 miles on it. So i was thinking is it really necessary to go with the coating since my car doesn't see that much road time?
Old 11-15-2004, 07:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get the coated ones. Aside from the fact they will develop surface rust pretty quickly without coating, if the car sits over the colder winter months you'll get condensation and they will eventually rust. IMO it's a small investment, I think the coated Pacesetters are only $100 more than uncoated. I learned my lesson many years ago when I had a 90' firebird I put uncoated Edelbrock headers on. After smelling the paint burning off for a few days they rusted shortly afterwards. My next car a 92 Z28 I had my headers coated by HPC and they were flawless after 7 years, 2 of which were spent as a daily driver.
$100 for coating is a good deal even though it's outside only on those headers.
just my .02 but I would never put uncoated headers on my car.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get coated..
I've had both painted and coated. I will never ever in my life get painted headers again.

Not worth the hassle..