Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with oil filler neck

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with oil filler neck

I have searched, but my question is. . .

I need to replace the black plastic filler neck between the oil fill cap and the valve cover. Is it possible to replace it with a new factory piece without removing the valve cover from the head?

Some seem to say if you pull hard enough it can be removed, but I am replacing it with the same part not a breather so can I rip the old neck off and push in a new one or do I need to pull the tab thing from the inside?.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:53 AM
Teching In

Has any one done this?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

My guess!

I would pull the cover off. I actually tried pulling if off while the cover was off once and it wouldn't even budge. I didn't need to, but I was curious to see if it could be modded to fit a different cap/breather, but I don't see how it would come off without removing the cover, and even then, I don't see how you get it off, lol. Not much help I know, but I would remove the cover, only takes 30 min. at most...

Dan
Old 12-10-2004, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

I Think You Twist Left Then Pull. Cant Remeber But Thats How You Do It On The Trucks.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by STOCK_SUCKS
I Think You Twist Left Then Pull. Cant Remeber But Thats How You Do It On The Trucks.
Thats what i did.I took it off due to my Stb.Then i just put the oil cap in the hole.You dont need to remove the cover to take it off.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

That's good to know. For the life of me though, mine would not budge. I'll give it another try. how does the cap fit the hole?
Old 12-11-2004, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DanZ28
That's good to know. For the life of me though, mine would not budge. I'll give it another try. how does the cap fit the hole?
The bottom of the tube is the exact same as the cap.Thats why it twists off to the left.Mine was stuck on pretty good,but i got it off.It took me a couple off tries but it'll come off.

I just wanted to add that i have a 98 with the perimeter bolt heads.I'm not sure if the 99 up have thier oil fills mounted the same or not,being center bolt heads!So there could be a difference on the way the filler tube can be removed.On the 99 up you might not be able to remove it,but i cant see that happening.

Last edited by WhiteRhino; 12-11-2004 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Well, the filler neck is changed.
I tried the turn it with channel locks, no luck. So, I took off the valve cover which is a pain because of the individual coils on the 98. Once the valve cover was off I tried every tool I could think of the lift the little locking tab inside. Finally, I gave up and used a drill and drilled through the neck vertically to remove the locking tab. This made it turn easily to the left and remove.

I changed the neck because since I've own the car the rubber O ring has been hanging out. This was never really a problem, but now with the STS Turbo returning the oil throught the cap, a little oil was dripping from the filler and smelling terrible as it dripped on the AIR.

Thank you for the help gentlemen, and if anyone else has a problem with the O ring the part from a dealership was under $9 with tax.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a detent that locks it in place inside the valve cover. It's easy to take out. Just do it when the engine is hot. You have to push in REALLY HARD before turning it to the left. It screws right out. Again, the secret is to PUSH IT IN HARD when turning.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Where did you get the replacement fill neck&cap?
Old 12-15-2004, 05:34 PM
Teching In

I got the neck at a Chevy dealer. I did not replace the cap, that is where my oil returns from the turbo (STS).
Old 03-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

I tried pushing in really hard and turning left on my '99 but that didn't work so I took off the cover. Looking at how it works, there is a little plastic locking piece that prevents it from turning to the left. I don't see how pushing in on the neck would defeat it. I ended up taking a big pair of channel locks and turning left until I overcame the tab (broke it) and then it turned free and pulled out like the cap does. Why GM did this I don't understand (kind of like a lot of other GM decisions). I'd remove the cover to get it off since you'll break off a little piece of plastic. You don't want that floating around insdie your motor. OBTW, if you just try to put the cap back on, it won't clear the forward most coil pack. You'll need a neck or a breather that has a smaller diameter than the cap.

Matt
Old 03-13-2005, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Funny this thread arose from the dead again, I like just did this today.

Matt, you can do it with out breaking it and you don't push or pull the neck to do it. If you look into the neck (where you pour the oil), you'll see a tab down there (I did this with the cover off). I just used a small screw drive and pried it out a little bit and turned the neck at the same time, walla, it came right off

Dan
Old 03-14-2005, 05:29 AM
TECH Addict

Matt, that's why I said said above to only do it while it's hot. If you push down really hard, it will throw the plastic tab at just enough of an angle to allow it to force ITSELF upward by catching on the edge/corner ... as you turn it, the plastic tab lifts itself out of the detent and the filler neck turns 180* right out of the cover. I have done mine several times and have no problem taking it out this way ... so long as the engine is hot because it makes the plastic tab pliable enough to lift easily. It's nearly impossible to get it out when the plastic is not hot. I pulled the one out of my wife's last weekend to make sure her 2002 wasn't made differently. It's the same ... would not come out cold, but, hot, it came right out.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

It takes 10 seconds to pry that tab out with a screwdriver and twist it out, but interesting idea about getting it hot and using force to overcome the tab, I wouldn't have thought the plastic got that warm...

Dan
Old 03-16-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

I timed it ... took me total time of nearly 3 minutes and the O-ring broke off and fell in the drivetrain area which was a bitch to dig out.

When I did it with the engine already hot, the way I normally do it, it took me 6 seconds ... with my new oil filler neck ... 4 seconds with my wife's car.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Went to the garage and put it back on, from the time I put the screw driver on the tab, I got it in 3 seconds, now beat that

Lol! just playing!

Dan
Old 03-17-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

I tried that and I must be faster than you, Dan. I did it TWICE in 5 seconds flat ...

Damn ... beat you at your own game?