Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Ultimate short belt setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing is sweet. Thanks for all the info...just looking at that machine is exciting. Any lathe pics?
Old 01-10-2005, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Another_User
That thing is sweet. Thanks for all the info...just looking at that machine is exciting. Any lathe pics?
Sorry I don't have any pics of it. It's an old CQ6230 that I bought from the same factory I got the mill from. They are a fairly generic lathe and come re badged from a few different manufacturers : CQ6230

Cheers

Michael
Old 01-11-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging from the "AFTER" photo your mill in NOT bolted to the floor. It it heavy enough that it can hold itself in place of its' own weight without your having to worry that is might start to walk across the room during a critical cut?
Old 01-11-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

That's sick!

Can't wait to see the finished car/product!
Old 01-11-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Good work!

Is the factory impeller steel? You might want to consider having the pulley and impeller hard coated for longevity. A good anodize will make it last a whole lot longer.

What are the plugs you are using to plug the heater connections?
Old 01-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

that pump would work great with my adjuster
Old 01-11-2005, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SERPENT99
that pump would work great with my adjuster
That's a good idea but unfortunately it won't work on my car. The alternator won't clear the chassis rail with the stock bracket. I had to machine up a new bracket to tuck the alternator hard up against the block to give me enough clearance. I was almost ready to bin the stock alternator and find a small diameter unit from a small Japanese car.

I've nearly got the spring loaded tensioner set up finished. The new bracket is now acting as a bit of extra bracing for the alternator mount.

Cheers
Old 01-11-2005, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Judging from the "AFTER" photo your mill in NOT bolted to the floor. It it heavy enough that it can hold itself in place of its' own weight without your having to worry that is might start to walk across the room during a critical cut?
It's very heavy. The whole thing is cast iron and probably weighs well over a ton and it doesn't move at all. It was never even bolted down in the factory I bought it from.

Cheers

Michael
Old 01-11-2005, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Larry
Good work!

Is the factory impeller steel? You might want to consider having the pulley and impeller hard coated for longevity. A good anodize will make it last a whole lot longer.

What are the plugs you are using to plug the heater connections?
I think the factory impeller is a low grade stainless.

I had thought about anodising it but I figured I'd try it out and see if it works OK first.

I've been collecting all the parts to build a home anodizing plant. I've got some deep cycle batteries and a 48V DC rectifier and cabling. Now I've just got to sort out a tank, sulfuric acid and some lead for the anode. I also want to work out a way to cool the acid to do hard anodizing. The problem is making space to put everything. I've really got to tidy up my shed and throw out a bunch of junk to make some space.

Cheers

Michael
Old 01-12-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DAMN!
What I wouldnt give for one of those machines. You could have ALOT of fun with one of those. Not to mention actually being able to build your own parts.

Great job on the impeller. and good looking setup you have going on the car.