Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start suddenly, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car won't start suddenly, need suggestions

Drove the car home from work, everything ran fine. Woke up to go to class in the morning, car gets power but does not crank, or even attempt to crank. I've had the starter relay go bad before, so that was my first suspicion- but all the fuses and relays for the entire car work fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The battery is not drained. Need help ASAP I'm pretty stumped.

Sam

.. this is on the relatively stock Z28 by the way, not the modded out Firebird.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Does the security light come on? Mine did this and it was the VATS.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Launching!

I'll have to check when I get home, any other suggestions?
Old 01-14-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did this a couple of years, and I checked everything trying to figure out what happened. I was sure it was in the column, vats, or something along those lines. Had it towed to the dealer, and of all things, it was the starter...

That was a $380 starter in my old v6. :o
(Lifetime warranty though.)

If you can kick the starter over by direct power, then it's upstream somewhere. But if it won't go even with direct 12v to the little wire, then it's the starter.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xjarayax
Drove the car home from work, everything ran fine. Woke up to go to class in the morning, car gets power but does not crank, or even attempt to crank. I've had the starter relay go bad before, so that was my first suspicion- but all the fuses and relays for the entire car work fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The battery is not drained. Need help ASAP I'm pretty stumped.

Sam

.. this is on the relatively stock Z28 by the way, not the modded out Firebird.
Had the same thing happen to me.All interior lights,radio,dash guages and headlights worked but when i turned the key to start the car nothing would happen. Turns out it was the starter solenoid.The whole starter had to be replaced.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the battery first. These cars can have a battery dead enough not to start the car.. but still enough juice to run all the interior stuff.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Lightbulb

Probably starter solenoid...

Any previous sign of the problem? Do you have to turn the key more than once previously to start the engine?
Because I replaced mine almost 3 years ago and those were the initial signs of something bad happening. Sometimes I had to turn the key more than once to start the engine. One day... it didn't work anymore....

The cost was around $25.00 for the solenoid and i fixed myself.
Local PepBoys wanted ~$360.00 for a "new" starter.
I bought a couple of with the difference.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:14 AM
dug
Banned

Im having the same problem with my car. Out of the blue it wouldnt start. It would only make a click. The last couple times I drove the car Id push start it. My driveway has an incline. Just let it roll and pop the clutch. It starts right up.

Maybe I should take the starter off completely. Another weight reduction mod.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm having the same problem with both keys randomly allowing the engine to start, but usually it only clicks once per attempt. Fuel pump is priming, clutch neutral switch is OK.

Where is the solenoid in relationship to the starter?
Old 02-01-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your ignition switch, SAME THING happened to me, turned out that the ignition switch had enough. Changed it, worked perfect. Also, my security light was blinking. Good luck.

-J
Old 02-01-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Ack, did you have the dealership replace the ignition switch?

Just had another suggestion... since I just had the flywheel replaced with the new clutch, perhaps the starter isn't engaging the flywheel properly? It does seem like it only started after I got the car back.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hahah no thank God. My brother-in-law is a mechanic, so it was relatively painless...
Old 02-02-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are two common problems if the "Security" light on the dash is lit:

1. The ingition cylinder is faulty. GM will replace the lock cylinder and provide you with new ignition keys for about $70.
2. The BCM (Body Control Module) is faulty. GM will replace the BCM at a cost of arounf $500.

It could also be that your key is dirty. Try cleaning the key (especially the resistor) and blowing out the ignition cylinder with compressed air. Sometimes it just doesn't read the correct resistance and won't start.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

Question I Need HELP

I just recently put headers and exhaust on, and my car ran excellent all weekend and then yesterday i drive it all day,..park it...get in it hours later drive it 100yards park it,...start it 15min later and nothing but a clicking noise. My security light comes on, all the lights come on,..tried jumping it...no help. I dont know what to do. Im guessing that its most likely my starter b/c I have heard these often go out after putting headers in, so should i go with a high torque starter or will just my basic one due? or will the starter even be my main concern for the problem? I dont know what else it could be or how to go about doing it. Thanks for the help in advance!