Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Poly Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed Poly Engine Mounts

Finally got the poly motor mounts installed. Man they are great, but they suck putting it. I have Pace Setter LT. I had to take both brackets off the frame to get the motor mount shell out. I thought about taking the headers off, but my ORY fits so tight I did not think I could get it apart or back together. The driver side was the worst. I honestly at one point wished I had not even started it, but it sure helped. No more Y pipe banging, the engine does not even rock or roll when you flick the throttle. The passenger side was so much easier. The A/C compressor will sit on the sway bar and you have much more room than the other side. When attempting this install schedule breaks because you will get frustrated, and tired if you are on a creeper doing this.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

do you have any false knock problems with the poly mounts? I've heard this was a problem with them...
Old 01-31-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I thought the false knocks were with solid motor mounts , not with polys . I haven't had a problem with my polys .
Old 01-31-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive not heard of false knock with them either, i would think it would be the opposite, we were getting false knock before the poly mount due to headers hitting kmember.

it was a pita install, it does help to have a 15mm gear wrench for the bolts or youll be there all day. also the rivets in the mount took us forever with a die grinder, save your time and just drill the rivets out. otherwise a very good install to do if you have a cam.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

ok well I guess I was wrong I will have to look into these bad boys, where'd you get the them from?
Old 01-31-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Only place I saw them was Thunder Racing, and I don't have a scanner to see if I am getting any knock, but I doubt it.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them too... really shored up the engine motion and made it so the exhaust didn't rattle around all the time.

The one unfortunate side effect is that the vibrations from the engine will be absorbed more into the frame... so I have more squeaks and rattles now in the cabin than I did before the swap.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

even with the SFC's?

I've had a set for a couple of months that I've been trying to find the time to install... maybe I'll get some Kenny double-D's first, hahaha
Old 01-31-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CamTom12
even with the SFC's?

I've had a set for a couple of months that I've been trying to find the time to install... maybe I'll get some Kenny double-D's first, hahaha
Yep even with them... of course, my car is just a symphony of odd sounds as I cruise down the road. I have poly bushings and mounts everywhere possible, so I have lots of rattles in the center console, the seats, the dash, etc, I have a Pro 5.0 shifter that has no rubber insulation like the stocker so along with my poly trans mount I can hear just about everything going on in the transmission, I have a Moser with 4.11 gears that whine like a banshee, a rumbler catback coupled with my cam so the exhaust is pretty damn loud...

But hey, at least I have ZERO wheel hop and my car will liquify my street tires if I push the pedal to the floor at any time in first or second gear... and will light 'em up when I downshift from 4th to 3rd.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah the increased noises is normal with poly bushings. almost makes you want to use rubber, almost
Old 02-01-2005, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

my poly's had to be cut down to fit in the clamshell, that was the only problem I had.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blue Falcon
my poly's had to be cut down to fit in the clamshell, that was the only problem I had.
hrm, maybe you didnt get all the old material out. we had to clean it real good and even then we had to hammer the mount place, then it fit. also another note, trying to line the new engine mount with the chassis mount was a lil difficult, finally got it in by using a crowbar to pull the motor away.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

I had the motor out of the car but I've got to fix the mount because the welds my engine shop put on it broke..

There was no material, it just kept hitting the metal part of the clamshell. I questioned one of the guys at Speed Inc. several times to make sure they were sending me the correct ones.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blue Falcon
I had the motor out of the car but I've got to fix the mount because the welds my engine shop put on it broke..

There was no material, it just kept hitting the metal part of the clamshell. I questioned one of the guys at Speed Inc. several times to make sure they were sending me the correct ones.
just curious but what was the reason for welding the mounts? also i dont understand what you are talking about without seeing it or more explanation, the whole clamshell is metal and the poly urathane is contoured to fit the shape of the metal. we couldnt get ours to fit in there without persuation, it was a tight fit and the urathane dont slide on metal very well.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have prothane poly mounts and they fit right. Now you wont be able to put the clamshells back together until they meet up by hand because then they would be a solid mount. You will have to pull them together with the new bolts. I put grease on mine before I put them in the clamshells and then tightened them with my small impact gun.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did my driver's side last week and I agree...it totally sucked. It took me a good 6 or 7 hours for that but 99% less y-pipe banging now (just the occasional tap starting from a stop). I'll sell my leftover passenger mount (identical to the driver's side) if anybody wants it...there's no way in hell I'm going through that crap again just for the passenger side.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

Boil the Polyurethane Mounts and put them in before they cool off. they become soft, well softer anyways.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

I just installed the Poly mounts on my car, and it was somewhat a PITA .... but I was installing headers anyways so I figured "now is the time". I won't know until about mid April, how the mounts are - when I put the car back on the road (I don't drive it in the winter/salt). Oh, and... GearWrenches Rock!
Old 02-06-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

I have a set ready for install, but after looking at my headers, I don't see how you can fit a wrench in there to take off the upper engine mount bolts. I wish I had done this when my headers were off.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shep28
I have a set ready for install, but after looking at my headers, I don't see how you can fit a wrench in there to take off the upper engine mount bolts. I wish I had done this when my headers were off.

Oh it is possible! I have the same headers, but if you can get your exhaust apart it will probably save you some time from getting the top eninge mount bolts in and out.