Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This cannot be good....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default This cannot be good....

Ok my AC compressor always made a growling noise but put out cold air, well it stopped a few months ago, and doesnt growl or kickin, so I thought the pressure was low, I started the car, ran the AC, pulled the pressure switch and juimpered it, the Compressor kicked in, the air wasw still hot, I hooked up the can of refridgerant with an inline gauge, and the gauge read over 70PSI in the system!!! Its supposed to be at like 50. What could be going on?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Were you taking that reading on the high or low pressure side?
Old 02-07-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The low, even with the switched jumped the compressor wont kick in and the accumulator doesnt get cold at all just stays hot.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been told that the newer refrigerant is sensative to higher pressures and will actually get hotter under higher than normal pressures.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:08 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when my compressor went, the pressures were perfect and it wouldnt blow cold air. turns out that the compressor fried, then clogged the orifice (by the firewall) with metal. cleaned out the system and put in a new compressor/orifice and it worked like a charm. my system would kick on though, not sure whats wrong with yours.

70psi on the lowside with the compressor runnning doesnt seem very high to me.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

its supposed to be liek under 50 and on the gauge it was in the DANGER DANGER zone lol
Old 02-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Teching In

there are only three things in this type of ac set up that will cause high suction pressure.#1 are you sure the compressor is running?If not your seeing the refrigerant at outside temp/pressure.#2 your compressor has bad valves or valve on suction side and cannot pull down to a lower pressure.#3 You over charged your system.I dont think there is a liquid line shut off valve "high side shut off valve on the system so there is no way to test your valves.So if you think you might have over charged the system you should take all the gas out and charge it with the right amount.It should say under the hood how many #'s the system takes.I'm an air conditioning journeyman if you have any more questions just let me know.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok more info:
I have never charged it.
The AC has always made a growling noise when on.
When I jump the low pressure switch I hear something loud come on.
I DO NOT think the clutch is engaging as it doesnt spin like it should when engaged.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Teching In

If it is only coming on when you jump the pressure switch you either have a bad switch or are short on refrigerant.Earlier you stated you saw 70 psi on gauges is that running or not running?If that was not running you are low on refrigerant and the unit would be engaging and disengaging the cluch off your lp switch. Heres what I would do,take some mainfold gaauges and hook up to both sides of the system.red on the high side and blue on the low side.verify you have enough pressure to make lp switch.depending on the temp outside 60 degree f to 105 degrees f your pressure should be anyware from 58 psi to 135 psi with the car off.if you have these pressures and it will only turn on by jumoing the switch you have a bad switch.since you have jumped it and you still dont get cold air it sounds like you have other problems.try jumping the switch with the gauges on both sides and see what the pressures are.If they do not change when you jump it your compressor is not engauging or you have bad valves.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The vavlves being in the compressor correct? The pressure is the same either way, with car off, ac off ac on car on I dont have any manifold gauges, but im probably just gonna have a shop drain it, then replace the compressor and clutch.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If its always growled i'd assume it finally burnt out. Quite possibley clogging the lines. Try checking the marketplace for a used compressor, lots of people have no use for them in their drag car, probably with very low miles too. It'll save you a lot of cash.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

if it clogged the lines, are they internal to the compressor or will more work need to be done?