Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 09:43 AM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator issues

I've located the source of my whirring sound almost for sure... it's the alternator. I'd originally thought it was the PS pump, but I think I was tricked by the fact that the PS pump is basically right on top of the alternator. Anyway, the thing still seems to function, but I'm going to take it out and bring it up to AutoZone and have them run a benchtest on it for me. If it happens to function properly, I would assume it's a bearing that is going out. Would it be hard to find the part and replace it if that's the case? I don't want to pay over $100 for an alternator if the only issue with mine is the bearing.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

What kind of tests can autozone run on the alternator? I think my alternator is going out as well.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you're not hearing the Air Pump?
Old 02-10-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Are you sure you're not hearing the Air Pump?

Make sure it's not comming from the Far Drivers side.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:04 AM
11Second Club

Originally Posted by Richiec77

Make sure it's not comming from the Far Drivers side.
I'm 100% sure it's not the AIR pump for three reasons. First of all, it doesn't go away after the car warms up. Secondly, the sound changes pitch as the RPMs change, and I wouldn't expect that to be the case with the AIR pump since it's not belt-driven. Third, the sound is definitely coming from the very front of my block, and it's basically below the power steering pump.

Originally Posted by 01TAFlyer
What kind of tests can autozone run on the alternator? I think my alternator is going out as well.
They run a "bench test" to be sure that it is functioning properly. If nothing else, I'd like to hear it turn without having to mentally filter out the sound of the engine. At the very least I can be 100% sure whether or not it's making the noise, and they don't charge for this service so it'll be free regardless.

What I'm wanting to know from you guys is this... if the alternator is working properly (haven't had any power issues yet, so I think this might be the case) but a bearing or something like that is going bad and making the noise, how hard would it be to replace said bearing myself so I don't have to purchase a new alternator?
Old 02-10-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can try using the old method, take a long screw driver or crowbar, touch it too the alternator, put ear to other end. try touching different things till you find the source. for alternator rebuilding, you can read through this guide on a grand national, http://www.secondhandsix.com/misc/gntalt.htm
I dont think they changed the alternator design that much if at all since then.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:32 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by hourang
you can try using the old method, take a long screw driver or crowbar, touch it too the alternator, put ear to other end. try touching different things till you find the source. for alternator rebuilding, you can read through this guide on a grand national, http://www.secondhandsix.com/misc/gntalt.htm
I dont think they changed the alternator design that much if at all since then.
oh I gotta try that too!!!! thanks.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1998camaroz28
oh I gotta try that too!!!! thanks.
your welcome, let me know if you can even get to the alternator like this, lol.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:08 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

your welcome, let me know if you can even get to the alternator like this, lol.

hopefully i can get her up on the lift. its on the drivers side bottom isnt it? i forget... oh well i will let you know how it goes. thanks again.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1998camaroz28
hopefully i can get her up on the lift. its on the drivers side bottom isnt it? i forget... oh well i will let you know how it goes. thanks again.
i hope its a drive on lift, i dont know if its good to run your car on the jack points type lift. but yeah its drivers bottom and yea if you can get under the car the alternator is right there easy to get to at that point.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:29 AM
11Second Club

i hope its a drive on lift, i dont know if its good to run your car on the jack points type lift. but yeah its drivers bottom and yea if you can get under the car the alternator is right there easy to get to at that point.
I don't yet have ramps or stands. Can it be removed from above? I know it'd be tougher, but it's not impossible is it?
Old 02-11-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gauge
I don't yet have ramps or stands. Can it be removed from above? I know it'd be tougher, but it's not impossible is it?
i dont see it coming out from the top.