Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise coming from Intake Plz Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise coming from Intake Plz Help!

My 98 z has been sitting all winter and i decided to take it out for a ride today, however, while driving it it almost sounds like a squirrel or something getting fried , thats definitely not the case, it doesnt make the sound all the time but when i heard the noise i left it running and tried to figure out where it came from, upon listening i revved it up with the throttlebody and i could hear it loudly, and i could feel the clattering right there. i took off the lid,maf and tb, i see some smoke inside, on the left where the tube comes in i see a little bit of milky brown wetness, and i dont see any loose objects in there (mind you trying to peek in there with a flashlight) , next i'm thinking of swiping a magnet in there to see if i can pull something out. Any suggestions? its in the middle of my driveway im gonna have to move it eventually , any help would be greatly appreciated TIA guys

edit: didn't find anything but listening to it again it sounds like its coming from the valvetrain, in the summer i had to replace all the rocker arms because of the needle bearings. mabye i effed something up? the car only has 45k on it and mabye 2k on the new rockers , i hope this isnt going to be anything serious

Last edited by MadMike; 02-09-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The milky brown substance is water mixing with the oil that gets sucked in thru your PCV. It's normal after a car sits for a ling time. As for the sound I'd pull your valve covers & crank the motor over while watching the rocker arms. Sounds like one came loose. You could use a stethoscope or long acrewdriver stuck in your ear to listen to each side first to see if you can isolate which it's coming from. (& then open that side)