Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is louder??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is louder??

I'm wanting to hear from guys who've heard both setups personally.

Which is louder on the outside/inside?? Drone etc.

1. LT's / ORY / GMMG

2. LT's / TSP True Duals.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i haven't had either but i'm almost positive the duals are louder...
Old 02-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

my lt1 has lts and true duals, i get a funny vibration/drone around 1800-2100rpms... it is loud as hell at wot, but kinda tame when im not on it, still a hell of a lot louder than stock tho.... havent heard the other setup, but my lts are from lanes performance, and they were worth the money, came as all one piece and they just slid onto the headers... Love my setup, but i have a bad exhaust leak cuz i use the band clamps and they suck...
Old 02-14-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1BADFNZ
I'm wanting to hear from guys who've heard both setups personally.

Which is louder on the outside/inside?? Drone etc.

1. LT's / ORY / GMMG

2. LT's / TSP True Duals.
the gmmg will probaly give you a more raspy, crackling sound the TSP true duals will sound deeper and louder but the true duals will be louder trust me
Old 02-14-2005, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ruck98
the gmmg will probaly give you a more raspy, crackling sound the TSP true duals will sound deeper and louder but the true duals will be louder trust me
My old set up was Kook's LT with a ORY and cutout when cutout was closed it was going through a Random Tech catback.
My new set up is Kook's LT with TSP TD and this set up sounds so much better than the old one. I'm not a big fan of ORY pipes but I love the sound of True Duals. Before I ran my duals out the back there was no rasp. I have a very little bit now. Before with the old set up it was awfully raspy. I would say go with the TD system.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Well my current setup is the LT's / ORY / GMMG and it's fuggin loud
but it's also my daily driver so it tends to get a little old ya know. Plus I was thinking I could pick up some HP and lose some weight by switching to the Duals. If it was a little quiter it'd be even better.

I have a buddy here with the duals ( haven't ridden with him yet, car is down) who went to the track with me and told me my car was f*cking loud so maybe it is louder than his setup??
Old 02-14-2005, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

yea I have LT's, ORY, GMMG and it's pretty damn loud, drones in the car around 1800-2100, I've had 2.5 X pipie duals with spiral flows dumped and my GMMG is definitely louder then the duals. I know the bullets are louder then the spiral flows but I've never heard duals with bullets....
Old 02-14-2005, 12:31 PM
9 Second Club

Id have to say the duals are louder depending on the muffler you choose.I have true duals w/ bullets and no x pipe , and can hardly stand it.Its always loud . At least w/ the ORY/gmmg setup you can think in your car ,listen to the radio, and have a conversation w/ someone on the phone as long as your not at the 2100-2500 rpm range. I speak from experience.Between 2 of my friends and myself we just about covered most aftermarket exhuast systems and of all ended up with a similar setup.That is LT - x pipe - bullets - dumps/except mine exits out the back.Heres my conclusion.
ORY=drone 2100-2500prm=loud interior=headache
ORY=WOT=loud in any car outside
TD's=more throttle more noise at any rpm in the interior
TD's=WOT=loud in any car outside
TD's=NO DRONE=NO headache on long trips
TD's=w/ tailpipes=less interior noise
Old 02-14-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's an idea for you:

Keep everything you have, but swap out the offroad pipes for some good highflow cats (Carsound, Magnaflow, Random Tech). It's truly amazing how much better the tone of the GMMG is with cats than without!. And although it is still LOUD at WOT this way, it will be a little quieter overall than with the ORY.

BTW, I run Kooks LT's w/ their highflow catted Y-pipe through my GMMG and the sound is super deep & clean throughout the rpm range. I even like the "tone" better than any true dual set-up I've heard in person. Other cat-backs don't even compare IMO. And the drone is basically non-existent whereas it was very noticeable in the true dual cars I've been in...

Here are a few nice sound clips of what the GMMG with LT's & highflow cats sounds like outside/inside the car...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...MG+sound+clips

Mike
Old 02-14-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

well I had the high flow cats when I first got the setup. then I went through 2 cats in 3 months and got sick of it. (yes It's been tuned)

well the loudness is more of a bonus issue. I'm also looking at the weight savings and hp gains
Old 02-14-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BADFNZ
well I had the high flow cats when I first got the setup. then I went through 2 cats in 3 months and got sick of it. (yes It's been tuned)

well the loudness is more of a bonus issue. I'm also looking at the weight savings and hp gains
No idea why you're going through cats...I've had no problem with the highflows on mine...But if you want more loudness (sorry, thought you said you wanted it a little quieter) and less weight, than just dump the duals before the axle and use Bullet mufflers...Peak horsepower should be the same, but under the curve should net you a little more torque with the X-pipe...

You'll probably love it, but it's not my cup of tea...
Old 02-14-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Well I guess I was a little confusing. I was hoping that the dumps with the spiral flow mufflers would be a little quieter than my current setup while showing gains and losing weight.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

yes, spiral flow be quieter then your setup, I am actually thinking of switching my ORY, GMMG, to a 3" X with spiral flows dumped...
Old 02-14-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

sweet thanks.