Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust opinions

New guy here and was wondering if you guys could help me out with something.
I have a 1998 trans am ws6 and wanted to put exhaust on it, I was going to go with the jet hot headers, tsp y-pipe w/cats, and slp loudmouth. One of my questions is if i will halfto get the car tuned to get the horspower from the mods, and also will i halfto do anything different with my 02 sensors (i am going to get new ones). One last thing was that my car has this thumping noise coming from what sounds like the driveshaft when i am getting on the car any one else ever had this happen to them? (i have had the car to many different shops and nobody seems to know whats wrong with it.
.Thanks for the help.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

To get the absolute most out of your headers a tune is recommended, but not required.

As for the clunking noise. Is it an M6? If so it could just be drivetrain shock. The manuals are much harder on the drivetrain than the autos.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98TRNSAMWS6
New guy here and was wondering if you guys could help me out with something.
I have a 1998 trans am ws6 and wanted to put exhaust on it, I was going to go with the jet hot headers, tsp y-pipe w/cats, and slp loudmouth. One of my questions is if i will halfto get the car tuned to get the horspower from the mods, and also will i halfto do anything different with my 02 sensors (i am going to get new ones). One last thing was that my car has this thumping noise coming from what sounds like the driveshaft when i am getting on the car any one else ever had this happen to them? (i have had the car to many different shops and nobody seems to know whats wrong with it.
.Thanks for the help.
You will need to get O2 extensions.

Is your car an M6? It could be that the transmission is hitting the floor board on hard shifts. Might want to try a different transmission mount. Could also be wheel hop.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a pretty nice clunk when launching my car at the track, and I thought it was coming from the rear...as of a couple of weeks ago, I replaced the stock rubber tranny mount with a poly one after reading some posts on here. The rubber mount hadn't cracked all the way through, but it was starting to crack on the inside (if you know what it looks like, you'll understand what I'm talking about). Haven't had any clunking issues since...
Old 02-17-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

A tune helps, but you should still gain a good amount of power. Just for reference I went from a 14.2@101 to a 13.7@105 going from just an SLP LM to the current exhaust in my sig.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LoPeY
A tune helps, but you should still gain a good amount of power. Just for reference I went from a 14.2@101 to a 13.7@105 going from just an SLP LM to the current exhaust in my sig.
I was like WTF?!? until I realized this was at altitude...that's a nice gain. My car didn't gain much at all from my exhaust

I went from a 13.49 to a 13.32, but I'm thinking it had a lot to do with the tune and track conditions. I'll get to the bottom of it...eventually.