Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT headers-Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT headers-Y pipe

What is a good, emissions legal combo? I want 3" all around. I have a 3" Random Tech cat back system, and want good headers and dual cat y pipe. Can someone help me out? I did a search, but I don't know much about headers and y-pipes, so I just confused myself.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no long tube headers that I know of that are emmissions legal. LT choice depends on how much you want to spend.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:06 AM
10 Second Club

They aren't emmisions legal but you can still pass if there is no visual inspection and your car isn't throwing an SES code.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

As stated above LT's will not pass visual inspection because the cats are moved. You can however pass the sniffer with a catted Y and O2 sims.

A good set of headers for you will depend on what your looking for and how much you willing to spend. Pacesetters are probably the lowest cost but most will say Kooks or QTPs are the best you can buy.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

so even if i do have cats, i won't pass the visual inspection, but my car will still pass because i do have the cats??

if i can't get long tube headers, what header and y-pipe combonation would you suggest? mid length macs?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, forgot to mention that long tubes will pass emmissions with cats, but not the visual like the previous posters said.

the macs won't pass the visual either for the same reasons as the long tubes.

So you have 3 choices:

1) You can be a good citizen and not touch your exhaust at all.

2) You can get some shorty headers and pray that you get 10 rwhp out of them, while staying emmission legal since you won't be removing or relocating cats. Make sure they are carb legal though.

3) Say f^ck emmissions and carb and all the tree huggers and put some LT's on. Take a shot at the smog test hoping they don't notice the lt's and relocated cats. If they're not familiar with the configuration of your car, they might not know where the cats are supposed to be. If they do notice, try slipping a 100 dollar bill to the tester so he'll overlook the Lt's and relocated cats and enjoy your LT's. If all this fails, go back home, reinstall the stock exhaust manifolds, cats and y-pipe, get it smogged, and re-install the LT's.

I opted for #3
Old 02-21-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

The only way you will be fully emmission legal is to go with a set of CARB legal shorties. Which IMO wouldn't be worth the effort.
Talk with people in you area and see what your emmissions test entails. If you have to go on the rollers you'll need CATs. If the visual is like most everywhere else, they won't look or won't know what there looking at so go with LT's.
Not sure what car you have but if your OBDII then most places will just plug into the OBD port and read your codes.
No codes + half a$$ visual = pass
Old 02-21-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't believe I have emissions, but I do believe I only have the visual inspection. Are coated Pacesetter LT's, TSP catted y pipe with my Random Tech cat back system sufficient?
Old 02-21-2005, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
Yea, forgot to mention that long tubes will pass emmissions with cats, but not the visual like the previous posters said.

the macs won't pass the visual either for the same reasons as the long tubes.

So you have 3 choices:

1) You can be a good citizen and not touch your exhaust at all.

2) You can get some shorty headers and pray that you get 10 rwhp out of them, while staying emmission legal since you won't be removing or relocating cats. Make sure they are carb legal though.

3) Say f^ck emmissions and carb and all the tree huggers and put some LT's on. Take a shot at the smog test hoping they don't notice the lt's and relocated cats. If they're not familiar with the configuration of your car, they might not know where the cats are supposed to be. If they do notice, try slipping a 100 dollar bill to the tester so he'll overlook the Lt's and relocated cats and enjoy your LT's. If all this fails, go back home, reinstall the stock exhaust manifolds, cats and y-pipe, get it smogged, and re-install the LT's.

I opted for #3
I am with you on #3 Hell yea!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 02:34 PM

Kooks stainless steel & cated Y-pipe.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i can't afford kooks :-\ do they even make headers for lt1's?

i'm gonna get ceramic coating, because i here stainless steel isn't good in colder climates. even though where i live isn't cold a lot, just for a precaution, becuase it does sometimes get in the teens. that is nothing compared to the subzero temps in chicago