Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smell from ORY

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smell from ORY

Up until now I'd been planning on picking up a ORY but I've started to rear a little about people complaining about a smell with these? I think I've got an idea what it is, my car had been sitting for 3 months in my barn when I started it this weekend, and it smelled like an old redneck truck. Is that what I can expect? Will it always smell like this or will it get bad only if you don't start the car for a certain amount of time? I was originally staying away from a catted y because of the added price. For the next three years the most my car will see will be a mild cam, so the power loss won't be that major with cats I believe. My plan was to get Jet Hot LTs and ORY but had thought about picking up a used stainless set, there are some used ones for good prices but they have an ORY. I figured used stainless are a safe bet because don't have to worry about rust. But I also thought that if I'm concerned about the smell/rasp I could get a FLP system and then decide what I want to live with once I get it. I could swap out the pipes to decide. How much would it cost for some high-flow cats to put into an ORY if I later decide I don't like it?
Old 02-22-2005, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, you will just have a stronger fuel smell to your exhaust since the cats won't be there to burn it off. How your car is tuned will play a part on just how much of a fuel smell will be present. Some people have no issues with the smell, while others do. Some claim that they can barely tell a difference, others say its so bad that their clothes smell like fuel after driving the car. Bottom line.....you will probably have to try the ORY (if thats what you really want) and see how it is to you and make a choice from there. On a side note, depending on what exhaust system you have, be prepared for some rasp with LT's and ORY. Hopefully someone else will chime in on the cost of cats at a later time, I bought the FLP system, so I didn't have to deal with that.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

So did you try the off-road pipes on your FLP and then decide you didn't like it so you put the cats in? Also right now I have the factory SLP dual-dual and I plan on staying with that for a while.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

The car won't smell quite the same. It just smells like fuel. Like when you're pumping gas at the gas station. If you're worried about price, TSP makes a catted y that is VERY reasonably priced that will bolt right up to the JetHot's. FWIW, alot of guys around here think the ceramic coating on the JetHots is worthless but I don't have any first hand experience. If you want to save some money and go catted, you should consider Pacesetter headers in mild steel, the TSP catted y will bolt right up to that too.

EDIT: In case you didn't know TSP=texas-speed.com, they are a sponsor with some of the best prices around.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Doesn't JET HOT have a 3-year finish guarantee or something like that? I remember reading about it at one point but haven't seen it in a while.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ru2n00n3er
Up until now I'd been planning on picking up a ORY but I've started to rear a little about people complaining about a smell with these? I think I've got an idea what it is, my car had been sitting for 3 months in my barn when I started it this weekend, and it smelled like an old redneck truck. Is that what I can expect? Will it always smell like this or will it get bad only if you don't start the car for a certain amount of time? I was originally staying away from a catted y because of the added price. For the next three years the most my car will see will be a mild cam, so the power loss won't be that major with cats I believe. My plan was to get Jet Hot LTs and ORY but had thought about picking up a used stainless set, there are some used ones for good prices but they have an ORY. I figured used stainless are a safe bet because don't have to worry about rust. But I also thought that if I'm concerned about the smell/rasp I could get a FLP system and then decide what I want to live with once I get it. I could swap out the pipes to decide. How much would it cost for some high-flow cats to put into an ORY if I later decide I don't like it?
I like the smell of my exhaust with no cat's , If some one thinks thats bad, Try to see what your eyes and nose feel's like behind one of those NHRA drag car's.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

ANyone ever gotten in trouble from a cop because of the smell? As in the cop was smart enough to realize the smell meant that you had removed the cats?
Old 02-22-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

ANyone ever gotten in trouble from a cop because of the smell? As in the cop was smart enough to realize the smell meant that you had removed the cats?
Cops aren't that smart. Just been hassled because of the rasp and popping on decel. A cop once pulled me over and called a tow truck to check my exhaust, I convinced/urged the tow truck driver that my LM resonator was a cat!!! Then he left before the cop so I wasn't able to say 'thanks' and give him 20.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ru2n00n3er
So did you try the off-road pipes on your FLP and then decide you didn't like it so you put the cats in? Also right now I have the factory SLP dual-dual and I plan on staying with that for a while.
I put the cats on from the start due to the fact that at the time I was only a couple of weeks away from having to get a state inspection. I have taken them off once before and put the straight pipes on. I didn't notice a big difference in smell, what I didn't like was that the exhaust picked up a good bit of rasp....which I can't stand. At that point, I put the cats back on. I honestly couldn't tell any difference in the way the car ran with and without the FLP cats.

The dual/dual is probably the best catback to use with ORY and have little to no rasp.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

I love the smell of no cats.... smells like POWER!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 35thls1ss19
Agree 200%
Old 02-23-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 35thls1ss19
Of course, I smell slow-*** Hondas that have obviously removed their cats... plus the nice black soot on their bumpers around their fart can gives it away. I suppose that smells like POWER too.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Of course, I smell slow-*** Hondas that have obviously removed their cats... plus the nice black soot on their bumpers around their fart can gives it away. I suppose that smells like POWER too.
NO thiers have a less-sparkplugy smell! Smells like a lawn mower