Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why ory or cats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why ory or cats?

Hey guys, getting ready to start modding my car, as the pile of parts sitting hear is about as big as the car! I am going with qtp's headers but have questions about the y pipe. Pros and cons of both ory and cats. I don't have any concerns with emisions testing but I live at 5200' elevation and have heard a LITTLE back pressure (that high flow cats might provide)is better at higher alt. Does anyone know anything about this? also will a ory have any better ground clearance than one with cats? I am also ready to order a fast intake I thought the 78mm was better for stock cubes but just read a thread the leaned more to the 90mm. Car will have ported heads, mild cam for now (auto car that wants a m6 conversion so I dont want to spend money on a converter right now) 1 3/4 lt qtp's, corsa cat back and usual bolt ons. car is not a daily driver more of a "for fun car" but not a full tilt race car. recomendations for y-pipe and intake would be great!
thanks, Rudy
Old 02-24-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

You'll make more power without cats regardless of elevation. I live @ 6000' and going without cats will always net you more power. As far as ground clearance, the ORY will give you a bit more, but the QTP catted y tucks up very nicely as well. So either way ground clearance shouldn't be an issue.
I'd personally go with the 90mm TB and ITM. If you ever go with some larger mods in the future (i.e. stroker etc.), you can get some better gains in most cases with the 90mm setup. As your car sits now, the 78mm or 90mm setups really won't help very much though.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LoPeY
You'll make more power without cats regardless of elevation. I live @ 6000' and going without cats will always net you more power. As far as ground clearance, the ORY will give you a bit more, but the QTP catted y tucks up very nicely as well. So either way ground clearance shouldn't be an issue.
I'd personally go with the 90mm TB and ITM. If you ever go with some larger mods in the future (i.e. stroker etc.), you can get some better gains in most cases with the 90mm setup. As your car sits now, the 78mm or 90mm setups really won't help very much though.

You say the fast 78mm or 90mm wont give me much right now? when is the fast setup going to outshine lhe ls6 intake?
thanks, Rudy
Old 02-24-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LoPeY
As your car sits now, the 78mm or 90mm setups really won't help very much though.
That's definitely not true. Both FAST setups will absolutely incr you hp and tq. For stock cubes and mild cam like you're wanting to do, the LS6 intake will be just what you need.

Side note, skip the 78mm FAST either way you go, it's a waste of money and doesn't show improvements warranting the extra cost of it over the LS6.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

The more modified your engine is, the more the FAST combos will shine. Examples include head/cam setups, turbo, supercharger, greater than stock displacement etc. The way you stand right now, your money could probably be better spent elsewhere.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
That's definitely not true. Both FAST setups will absolutely incr you hp and tq. For stock cubes and mild cam like you're wanting to do, the LS6 intake will be just what you need.
Well of course I agree they will help, but I don't think the benefits will outweigh the cost with his current setup.