Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Mufflex or TD's
Keep the 4" Mufflex
60.00%
Go with true duals (post reasons @ bottom)
40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Mufflex 4" exhaust or TD's

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 03:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mufflex 4" exhaust or TD's

Hey everyone. I recently picked up a Mufflex 98402C catback...4" piping, single exit with 'hideaway' tail pipe, Flowmaster muffler. Very nice exhaust, however I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go true duals and be done with it. I'm tempted because I would have dumps that would be virtually invisible from behind the car and would have a choice on mufflers, etc., etc. Plus the idea of 'old school' true duals and the sound is very alluring. I'm planning on getting the Edelbrock Victor Series Drag Race headers and would have the duals custom fabbed to those. Should I sell the Mufflex, scrap the whole idea of a y-pipe setup and go true duals? Please help.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duals all the way.... A 2.5 or 3in. dual system is MORE than enough to support all kinds of crazy power. The sound with duals is awesome. Cant be topped in my opinion, especially if you're sporting a cam.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nittany_marine
Duals all the way.... A 2.5 or 3in. dual system is MORE than enough to support all kinds of crazy power. The sound with duals is awesome. Cant be topped in my opinion, especially if you're sporting a cam.
Do you have a preference/recommendation between 2.5" and 3"? I'm definitely doing a cam...probably a pretty sizeable one too, with heads in the future.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bull99ls1
Do you have a preference/recommendation between 2.5" and 3"? I'm definitely doing a cam...probably a pretty sizeable one too, with heads in the future.
I went with 3" and they are dumped at the sides, hidden nicely under the body. Im lowered 2" also, so I cant go over any speedbumps with 3". Pretty much the same in all aspects. Minimal hp gain, if at all over 2.5, i think. You'd have more ground clearance with the 2.5". Either setup will sound awesome. If you decide to run them out the back, you need to go 2.5 in order to get over the axle. You cant go wrong either way. Go to www.ls1sounds.com, and click on the true duals section to hear some. Good luck to you!
Old 03-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 4" Flowmaster that was custom made and I love the performance it gave but it was hard to tell exactly how much it gave me. (because I had my macs turned into longtubes with 3 1/2 collecters and a bigger 3" ORY made at the same time). The only reason I was hesitant to go with this system is the fact that I only have one tip on the left hand side and I was pretty happy with dual exits. But I have to say it is one of the baddest sounding exhausts Ive ever heard on an LS1.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

I have duals and love them to death, by far the best sounding exhaust on an LS1 I think. But if I were to do it again I would go mufflex 3.5" for the fact I cannot use a cross member mount Torque Arm with the duals, and finding a DS Loop that will fit good is another problem. Just some things to think about.

Dan
Old 03-03-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ONGRNGO
I have duals and love them to death, by far the best sounding exhaust on an LS1 I think. But if I were to do it again I would go mufflex 3.5" for the fact I cannot use a cross member mount Torque Arm with the duals, and finding a DS Loop that will fit good is another problem. Just some things to think about.

Dan
Good things to think about...honestly a torque arm isn't the biggest priority at the moment, seeing as my car is 90% street driven, and I will be getting new LCA's and an adjustable PHR, which should help traction for now. A DS loop, however, I may need that. The only true disadvantage along these lines that duals has presented is that I can't easily use triangulated SFC's. More votes please...I'm damn torn.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ONGRNGO

Dan
ditto, nobody makes a cross member mounted TA that will work with duals, nor is there a lot of DS loop's that work with duals, unless they were both custom made, which is $$$. IMO, I would go with the 4" Mufflex, will give you awesome power, but ditch the flowmaster muffler and go with something better like a ultraflo or a magnaflow. A guy on here (99Formula) swapped out his 3" X pipe for a 4" mufflex with magnaflow muffler and lost like 1 or 2 hp from swapping, so that isn't bad at all. I was in the same position as you, I wanted duals, but dumping them brings the fumes in the car, interior rattles, etc. so I just picked up a 3.5 Mufflex single exit with flowmaster muffler for $100! For the reasons above with the TA and the DS Loop, IMO, I'd rather have awesome traction and safety then a better sound and a bit more ponies, just my .2.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
ditto, nobody makes a cross member mounted TA that will work with duals, nor is there a lot of DS loop's that work with duals, unless they were both custom made, which is $$$. IMO, I would go with the 4" Mufflex, will give you awesome power, but ditch the flowmaster muffler and go with something better like a ultraflo or a magnaflow. A guy on here (99Formula) swapped out his 3" X pipe for a 4" mufflex with magnaflow muffler and lost like 1 or 2 hp from swapping, so that isn't bad at all. I was in the same position as you, I wanted duals, but dumping them brings the fumes in the car, interior rattles, etc. so I just picked up a 3.5 Mufflex single exit with flowmaster muffler for $100! For the reasons above with the TA and the DS Loop, IMO, I'd rather have awesome traction and safety then a better sound and a bit more ponies, just my .2.
So Flowmaster and Spintech don't flow well...note to self...ditch the damn muffler.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bull99ls1
So Flowmaster and Spintech don't flow well...note to self...ditch the damn muffler.
this is what I heard, like I said, I swapped out my flowmaster for a dynomax ultraflo muffler, think about it, the flowmaster has that delta flow bull **** in there, the spintech has the swirly things in that, and the ultraflo is a straight through design, but I have heard that the flowmaster and the spintech sounds mean.....

Quick Reply: Mufflex 4" exhaust or TD's