Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help! with part number

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Need Help! with part number

I need to know the part number for the gasket that meets up with the oil filter. Thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what you're asking, but if you are referring to the gasket between the oil filter and the engine, it is included with a new oil filter.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
Not sure what you're asking, but if you are referring to the gasket between the oil filter and the engine, it is included with a new oil filter.
well yeah, seems mine had a gasket on the engine end. Dont know if this is normal, the filter I bought has its own gasket.

The problem started after an oil and filter change, I started it up and heard it sqeak from under. I shut the car down after less than few seconds and saw oil spilling from the filter area. When I removed the filter I saw a round gasket which is thicker than the oil filter tear in two, the gasket on the actual oil filter remained.

Hope this sort of makes sense to someone
Old 03-09-2005, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this happened after you replace your flter, you might of had the old gasket-seal from your old filter stick to the housing. And when you installed the new filter it did not seal correctly. FYI it is a good rule of thumb to wipe of the oil filter sealing surface and at the same time fill the filter with some oil and wipe the excess on the seal. Do this each time and you will never have a problem like this again.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
If this happened after you replace your flter, you might of had the old gasket-seal from your old filter stick to the housing. And when you installed the new filter it did not seal correctly. FYI it is a good rule of thumb to wipe of the oil filter sealing surface and at the same time fill the filter with some oil and wipe the excess on the seal. Do this each time and you will never have a problem like this again.
so I should be okay then? the filter is still new and has the gasket still on, I guess it came from the old filter.

I actually do wipe some oil on the surface of the gasket, maybe I forgot the last time.
thanks
Old 03-09-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
yeah you were right, I checked the old filter and it was missing the gasket.
thanks again