Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

good LT question

Old 03-13-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good LT question

Im trying to get ride of my SLP LT headers, i want to replace them with a good LT header and full setup, y-pipe the whole package and such...same good power gains but most importantly clearance!!!

I want a good LT header so i can lower my car, whats the best thing for what im looking for?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

I just got my Pacesetter LT's and ORY installed yesterday.
They tuck up really nice and my car is lowered with Hotchkis lowering springs.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im in the same boat. from my research i've found there are 3 major players at the moment. Kooks, QTP and Pacesetter. Kooks and QTP are stainless and in the $1000 range. Kooks probably has better clearance of the two because it has a slightly clearanced y pipe. The QTP y-pipe might make a little more power, but might cost some clearance. Pacesetter has been revised since the early days to provide good fit, easy install and ground clearance. Pacesetters are not stainless but you can order them coated. You can go Pacesetter for about $500 all together

There are some less common ones out there. Dynatech Supermaxx has a nice stainless kit from what I hear (for about $1300) and StainlessWorks makes nice stuff and has stainless headers, stainless y-pipe for a little less than the other guys

There are still others out there like Hooker, which used to be the budget favorite, until Pacesetter took over.

Anyway, All the LT's listed above have been on lowered cars and provide much better clearance than SLP's. Just pick the one that offers all the features you want.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, so the pacesetters are the cheapest but not the best power, can you give me a sit that sells the whole package, includeing y-pipe and such. Like i said im looking for good clearace so i can lower my car.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also how much do yall think i should sell my SLP LT headers for???
Old 03-13-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SLP/Drew
ok, so the pacesetters are the cheapest but not the best power, can you give me a sit that sells the whole package, includeing y-pipe and such. Like i said im looking for good clearace so i can lower my car.
Dont count pacesetter out just because they dont make "the most" power, they all will make close to the same. If you want to get the most (power) out of the headers you choose make sure to look at supporting mods, and a good tune as well as the rest of the exhaust system.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:49 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Any of the sponsors can help you out with everything. Your best bet is to just call some of them and they will give everything that you need. Since you want good LT's go with Kooks or the QTP's both stainless and tuck up really nice. If you just want coated headers go with the pacesetter's. Iam really happy with mine, tuck up real nice as well. As cheap as they are, I was really impressed with how well they were made.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just installed some QTP LT's...and going from pacesetter to QTP, the QTP tuck up a tad more, maybe like 1''...but the pacesetters tucked up really good too...i was surprized to see that the pacesetters tucked up so good compared to the QTP, although the QTP were just a tad higher...now i have a catted Y so that hinders clearence soem but it also tucks pretty good...after i get the last bit of it fitted up tomorrow, ill take a picture of the clearence and post it up here...so you can get a visual of it...

Jon
Old 03-13-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok cool, so the qtp fits up a bit nicer than pacsetters, what about a y-pipe, i was impressed with the slp header and y pipe power but its just too f-ing big. also can i get away with out useing any catilitic converter?(im not trying to meet any admissions) also do you think this cutout will be too bulky

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=101

because i am going to lower my car this summer
-thx for the responses

Last edited by SLP/Drew; 03-13-2005 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

as far as a Y goes, i dont know if anything else fits the QTP headers, but i could be wrong...you can get a custom one done by your exhaust shop, but that just depends on what kinda work they put out...

as far as getting away with no cats..sure, im sure you can..alot of ppl here run no cats, and i had no cats for along time...i just got cats now b/c my particular exhaust combo sounds like poo with no cats...my opinion atleast...
Old 03-13-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

so ur telling me im gona have to use my stock y-pipe for the qtp of pacesetter headers, also did you guys have a knocking problem with these LT headers because to my knowledge i dont think my SLP had a knocking problem

Last edited by SLP/Drew; 03-13-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

you dont have to use your stock Y, im confident enough to lower my car with the clearence i have...no knocking prob here
Old 03-13-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

TSP said there y-pipe will fit QTP's.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are looking into buying the Pacesetter headers, do not buy the Pacesetter Y-pipe with them. Get the Texas-Speed Y-pipe instead. You can get the Pacesetters and TSP off-road Y-pipe for a little over $500, the fit is great! You can also get a catted version if you want, but it's a little more expensive. Here's the link: http://www.texas-speed.com/9802fbody...tFld=9802fbody

As the others have mentioned, if you are willing to spend a lot more money you can get the stainless Kooks or QTP systems. Both of which are very nice, but you pay for it.

I will try to take some pictures of my Pacesetter LTs and TSP ORY tomorrow if it isn't raining.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:47 PM

My Kooks don't hang any lower than the stock set up did.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kooks LTs/ORY here, GREAT clearance. i'm actually thinking of swapping out to 1 7/8's, and i'm not worried about clearance one bit. plans for the car include a drop with hypercoil springs of 1.25-1.5". take that for what you will!
Old 04-03-2005, 03:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I finished installing the Dynatech Supermaxx stainless steel LT header exhaust system yesterday. I would recommend it to anyone. Fitment is excellent and the headers and Y-pipe tuck under the car nicely. The only clearance lost is that the driver side Y-pipe is no longer squashed flat. Overall, I might have lost an inch to 1.5 inches max in total clearance.

Sound (though relative) is excellent and not overpowering, and the power increase over stock is noticable. The directions for the Dynatech kit are full color with tons of pictures. A complete mechanical retard can install the kit with these directions.....they're detailed to the end. The kit also has EVERYTHING with it: O2 extensions, zip ties, gaskets, bolts, Y-pipe, two stainless steel cats, etc. All included. This is why I picked the Dynatech over Kooks or QTP. The systems are comparably priced, but Dynatech has all the miscellaneous stuff that adds up (like O2 extensions).

I'd personally recommend the Dynatech system. I've been a happy camper since installing it. Just my $0.02

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 04-03-2005, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

FLP is also another choice. They are coated and nice, but they are expensive and not stainless steel.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stainless Works here. Pics on my website. Perfect for lowered cars as they designed it around my car; I'm running 3.5" exhaust. Fit better than the FLP's I had for 2 years.

Search this Thread