Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF query

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF query

I ported and polished my MAF like they do in install university and I thought that was great. After two months I got a ses light. Found out it was the MAF from the dealer. Bought a Granatelli one and I said great. the same day the light came back on. I think it could have been oil from the K and N filter. I also replaced spark plugs and wires and light is still there? Should I buy a stock MAF? and how much am I looking at. does anyone have an idea what else it could be?
Old 03-22-2005, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you clearing the codes each time you swap the MAF's out? If not try swapping them out, then have the codes cleared. Then see if it comes back on.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock is best.

Porting, or aftermarket meters are only good to have, if you retune it.

Ryan
Old 03-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

I have heard of the K&n's throwing trouble codes because of the oil, or too much of it. Try cleaning the air filter, then take the filter out and reoil it. Next take the filter and blow compressed air through it to take off the excess oil. I took some electronics cleaner and cleaned the elements myself on my MAF. Also, a friend of mine went through 3 Granetelli MAFs before he got one that worked. All threw a SES light, and 2 of them caused the car ('99 WS6 M6) to run like ****. On his 4th MAF from them, it worked fine and no problems since.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the code cleared once and it came back. I'm thinking of getting the code and finding out if it is the MAF. I'm also buying a stock one and leaving it alone. I am getting my CPU tuned should I still port and polish it? about the filter I'm just to clean it oil it and let it dry overnight.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SOMFormula
I have heard of the K&n's throwing trouble codes because of the oil, or too much of it. Try cleaning the air filter, then take the filter out and reoil it. Next take the filter and blow compressed air through it to take off the excess oil. I took some electronics cleaner and cleaned the elements myself on my MAF. Also, a friend of mine went through 3 Granetelli MAFs before he got one that worked. All threw a SES light, and 2 of them caused the car ('99 WS6 M6) to run like ****. On his 4th MAF from them, it worked fine and no problems since.

What did your friend do with the first three? Did he send it back or something? Did your MAF have oil on it that you cleaned it?
Old 03-22-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went from a ported MAF back to a stock MAF with a screen and everything. It was $260 but worth it in my opinion. For the few extra HP gained with a ported MAF it's not worth the potential problems to me. Of course many people run a descreened and ported MAF with no issues though. I just wanted a stocker. By the way if you have an A4 a ported MAF is bad.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Martingale
I went from a ported MAF back to a stock MAF with a screen and everything. It was $260 but worth it in my opinion. For the few extra HP gained with a ported MAF it's not worth the potential problems to me. Of course many people run a descreened and ported MAF with no issues though. I just wanted a stocker. By the way if you have an A4 a ported MAF is bad.

So you recommend not buying the SLP one? where did you get the stock one? Also the SLP one is screened and cheaper
Old 03-22-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by REDWS6CHICK
So you recommend not buying the SLP one? where did you get the stock one? Also the SLP one is screened and cheaper
I've never owned an SLP one but if you do a search for "SLP MAF" on here most people recommend staying away from it if you don't have a tune. A lot of people were running lean and/or had idle problems with the SLP and Granatelli meters with no tune so that's why I bought a stock one. The SLP one is cheaper then a stocker, I paid $260 for a stocker from the local Pontiac dealership. If you feel comfortable using the SLP meter go for it though...my decision to buy the stock one was based simply on what I read on here.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Martingale
I've never owned an SLP one but if you do a search for "SLP MAF" on here most people recommend staying away from it if you don't have a tune. A lot of people were running lean and/or had idle problems with the SLP and Granatelli meters with no tune so that's why I bought a stock one. The SLP one is cheaper then a stocker, I paid $260 for a stocker from the local Pontiac dealership. If you feel comfortable using the SLP meter go for it though...my decision to buy the stock one was based simply on what I read on here.

I guess I should buy the stock one too. I don't want any ses lights or anything. I think I am going to leave it screened unported and unpolished. what do you think?
Old 03-23-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get the biggest one you got, port it, calibrate it, and you'll be happy.
everything you wanted to know about MAF calibrations but were afraid to ask:

http://allmod.net/hpt
Old 03-23-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMFormula
Next take the filter and blow compressed air through it to take off the excess oil.
k&n is a gauze type element and it will break apart sometimes if you are not careful during this step.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

the best is keep the stock unless your engine calls for it based on the mods you have done. if it is a fairly stock t/a leave stock one in. i changed to slp and i saw a negative affect right away the car leaned right out but no sensors were tripped. if you really want to keep slp maf you must tune it for it to be a posoitive bolt on mod. gl. also keep in mind no need to change t.b either unless you plan on tune. gl