Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom x-pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default custom x-pipe question

Performance wise does it matter how far forward or how far back the accual X is placed. I have a spohn torque arm and don't have room in the middle where the X is usually placed. However if I wait and put the X after the torque arm crossbrace I may have room, but I'll only have 6" to a foot of pipe on the back of the X before the dumps. Will putting the X all the way at the back be a bad idea? If so I'll just run a H-pipe between the tranny cross brace and the torque arm crossbrace.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Anyone??
Old 04-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Launching!

I am wanting to do a dual system and I have the spohn torque arm too but Im not sure about it.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SnakeKiller
Performance wise does it matter how far forward or how far back the accual X is placed. I have a spohn torque arm and don't have room in the middle where the X is usually placed. However if I wait and put the X after the torque arm crossbrace I may have room, but I'll only have 6" to a foot of pipe on the back of the X before the dumps. Will putting the X all the way at the back be a bad idea? If so I'll just run a H-pipe between the tranny cross brace and the torque arm crossbrace.
I would think any loss, if any at all, in power would be very minimal. I thought the heat of the exhaust was also a critical part of building a good exhaust. What I mean is, the closer the X is to the headers, the hotter the gas, the better the flow. With the X where you described it-I dont think the gas would be cool enough to not want to flow any better or worse. The best way would be just try it, then dyno or take a trip down the 1320. And go from there.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, the further up the X pipe is, the longer the legs after the X pipe will be, and this is what creates the scavenging effect to bolster torque production down low. It probably wont be enough of a difference to be noticeable, but if you wanted to split hairs....
Old 04-05-2005, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. I acually was ordering some other things from Summit last night so I ordered the H-pipe since shipping isn't any more. After reading this I wish now I would have bought an X. But really I don't think there will be a huge difference in performance between the X and H
Old 04-05-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakeKiller
Thanks for the info. I acually was ordering some other things from Summit last night so I ordered the H-pipe since shipping isn't any more. After reading this I wish now I would have bought an X. But really I don't think there will be a huge difference in performance between the X and H
Dont worry, you could probably count the horsepower difference on one hand minus a few fingers after a freak chop saw accident.