Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Misfiring Adventures

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Misfiring Adventures

Alright I am going to start from the beginning...

Last thursday I went to the track, I put 2 gallons of 93 in it and then added 2 gallons of 110, Whether it was leaded or not I have no clue, I don't know why the track official would put leaded in a new(er) vehicle.

I ran 3 passes with the car running good, on the fourth pass the car started misfiring coming right out of the hole, So I let out of it and cruised to the finish. The car started hesitating and smoking out the back real bad, I thought it was oil at first but turns out its gas, you can smell it like crazy.

I drove the car home (3 miles) and parked it, 3 days later I change the plugs in it and they were blackish/grey. Smelt like strong gas like maybe they were fouled out, So I change the plugs and throw in some NGK's, I started it up and the same Misfire was there, I drove down to Autozone and got it scanned, they said it had 2 Random Misfire Codes. So I buy some gas treatment and put it in and fill the car up (Car had about 1/8 tank). I drove it to school today and drove right back home, I unplugged the 02 Sensors seeing if it would run ok in Open Loop thinking maybe it was the sensors, well that didn't fix it either. So I then change the fuel filter, the old one was nasty, had tons of black crap in it and wasn't yellow anymore, blackish gas was coming out of it, it was so nasty.

I start it up and it seemed to run better at 1st, but the same old thing, misfiring and hesitating.

I seafoamed it about 2 weeks ago before the problems. It doesn't smoke and hesitate (not as bad atleast) when I first start the car up, it takes a second, but when it gets warm it smokes real bad, its def. gas too.

The car only has 47,000 miles on it, so I think the wires are ok. I searched and some people with the same problem it was their valvesprings, I plan on doing a cam in the next few weeks so I want to get this problem solved first, thanks for the help ahead of time guys.

I bought the car used and its been pinging since the day I bought it, The only mods that I know of are MAC Midlengths w/ High Flow cats and a Flowmaster and FIPK.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but are you sure the number 8 plug wire is on tight? I was having the EXACT same problem as you. I changed the PCV valve, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the IAT sensor, changed 7 of 8 plugs, changed the fuel filter, even got a new battery which I needed anyways. NONE of these things helped. Well, after the bruising went away from the first plug swap, I decided to give number 8 another go ahead.

Turns out the plug wire was just barely hanging on the end of the plug. Glad I caught it before it fell off entirely and burned up on the header.

Anyway, if it's not the plug wires, try cleaning your MAF and IAT sensors. Replace your PCV valve, it's only $3 and mine was really nasty after only 20,000 miles.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:25 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the advice. I know they are all on good b/c I checked a million times, but rem. it was doing it before the spark plug swap.