Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pipes banging

Old 04-08-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pipes banging and quiet exhaust

hey ya'll, well i installed the poly motor mounts and with the new dyantechs, the pipes are banging. In side the car, i think i can pin-point it to the passenger y-pipe section.

I heard that some people wrap the y-piep o place a rubber piece in between the pipes and the floor board in order to stop the banging but im not to sure about that. Also some have told me to bang up the floor board with a BFG.

So, realistically, wat has worked for you guys? It only gets pretty bad when the idle drops low, any suggestions?

thanks

Edit: Also, i had another question.....

has anyone fabbed a silencer plate or used a exhaust cone to lower the volume of an exhaust system. Im kinda liking the loudmouth more and more and i just wanted to at least lower the volume of the tone.

Last edited by obZidian; 04-08-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Launching!

You may want to try a poly trans mount. Worked for me, but now everything else rattles....
Old 04-08-2005, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obZidian
hey ya'll, well i installed the poly motor mounts and with the new dyantechs, the pipes are banging. In side the car, i think i can pin-point it to the passenger y-pipe section.

I heard that some people wrap the y-piep o place a rubber piece in between the pipes and the floor board in order to stop the banging but im not to sure about that. Also some have told me to bang up the floor board with a BFG.

So, realistically, wat has worked for you guys? It only gets pretty bad when the idle drops low, any suggestions?

thanks
I have never tried the BFG, Big ******* Gun, method personally. The BFH mod works though.

I have a piece of power steering hose between my driveshaft loop and my exhaust and it doesn't bang at all. It should be the same for the floorboard and y-pipe.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

well tha sucks.....has nyone tried placing a rubber cushion or something like that to minimize the contact between the floor board and the pipes?
Old 04-08-2005, 03:31 PM
12 Second Club

I took about 6" of 1/2" rubber hose, and a threaded a 3-4" hose clamp through the middle. Then I wraped it around the y-pipe where it was banging with a small piece of exhaust wrap inbetween the y-pipe and the rubber. It has worked really well, and the rubber has not melted.

Kevin
Old 04-08-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

that sounds like a good idea.

how about the exhaust question, anyone have any suggestions? I would like to keep the exhus but figure out a way to lower the overall volume of the car...
Old 04-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Launching!

I was always wondering about the old garden hose idea and if it would melt the hose. I think I still have a tiny bit of exhaust hitting but not much.

What I ended up doing is going to a muffler shop and they heated up the Y Pipe right after it bolts to the collectors and were it connects to the back half of the exhaust and was able to use a pry bar and kind of reshape the y pipe so it was farther away from the bottom of my car. Now its almost perfect, matter of fact I have to really think about it to even notice any banging and I think that is from the collector hitting, not the Y pipe so I will be using the garden hose method to eleminate that as well.

Oh ya one more thing. Now that my Y Pipe doesn't hit the car feels 1,000,000,000,000 times better and its fun to drive again!
Old 04-08-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Keenov
I have never tried the BFG, Big ******* Gun, method personally. The BFH mod works though.

I have a piece of power steering hose between my driveshaft loop and my exhaust and it doesn't bang at all. It should be the same for the floorboard and y-pipe.
I too refrain from beating my car with a gun. Hammer maybe....no guns.

Search this Thread