Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank pulley keeps falling off the car(HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default crank pulley keeps falling off the car(HELP)

First i have a forged short block with only 5,000ish mi on it. I just finished doing the AFR and g5x3 cam swap. yesterday while driving down the road my ASP under drive pulled fell off the car at the stop light. I first thought did we forget to tq it down? I reinstalled the pulley today with a new bolt. i used the old bolt to 250ft lbs then installed the new bolt to 47ft lbs then i went 1/2 turn past to finish. I went out driving normal at first then i went WOT to 6,000rpm's. At this point the clutch lost some stiffness and i heard the same noise from when the pulley fell off the first time. I stoped the car and the pulley was comming off again. This pulley has been on and off the car several times doing cam swaps and the new motor swap. I was thinking of re-installing my stock pulley and if that pulley comes off then it has to be the crank is worn. If it stays on then the ASP pulley must be wornout.What do you guys think? Has anyone ever heard of this? Any help would be great. thanks, mike c.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you use locktite on the bolt?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

i was told not to use locktite by thunderracing. i did use it the first time and it came off. the second time i didn't and it still came off.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Launching!

well it is a press fit type of deal, so taking it off and putting it on a few times like you have may have done the clearances in? just thinking out loud. And i used locktite on a few pulleys they were a bitch to take back off, but they eventually did with no problems.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

that is the same thing my bud said(he's been building muscle cars for near 30yrs)he says the pully is getting worn. he said because the ASP pulley is not steel,taking it on and off 5-6 times it wore out.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

same thing happened here, if you can get an ati keyed pulley or go to stock.