Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have to replace BOTH O2's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have to replace BOTH O2's?

First of all, I have a 1998 Z28 A4 with a 4,000 stall that really needs tuning.I am trying to troubleshoot an 1100 RPM stumble and yesterday I threw SES code p0153 (bank 1 sensor 1 O2 low voltage). I thought this may have been my stumble/rough running problem. So I went and replaced that O2 sensor for $75. Do you HAVE to change both O2 sensors at the same time? The guy at Autozone was telling me that you did, but the computer was only telling me that bank 1 was bad. Could my other one be bad also and just not tripping a code? $75 is pretty steep to see if this is my problem! All the plugs/wires appear to be good (plugs gapped at .48) and I have the following mods:

Lid
Ported MAF (computer has been tuned for this)
MAC's
Off-road y-pipe through a 3" bullet and dumped before the axle (rear O2's programmed out of the computer)
TCI converter re-stalled to 4,000 (computer has NOT been tuned for this)
Lots of suspension mods
Old 04-21-2005, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if its not telling you its bad dont replace it, my bank 1 sensor 1 is having the p0125 code, saying it doesnt heat up intime, but the sensor still works fine, what you could do is remove the rear o2's and tune them out and put them up front, the shop down here charges 15 to tune out the rear o2's so it would be alot cheaper, or you could just take them out and live with the SES code for the rears, it wont effect how it runs, it will just throw a code. and the o2 sensors are interchangeable,