Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wish I knew before hand!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wish I knew before hand!

Well I FINALLY finished my coated pacesetter LT and TSP catted Y install this morning.
Sure wish I knew before I started it that new headers tend to smoke a bit! Holy crap did I freak out! Thankfully I found that out searching this site!

Eitherway- Header install went pretty good. Only spark plug removed was the rearmost passenger side. Left all others in. Did not disconnect the steering linkage and had no problem at all with it being there.
The catted-Y was not as easy to install, and due to the placement of the driver's side cat I've lost a pretty good amount of clearance. (I know, go ORY right! Until they get rid of "E-Check" in my county I'm SOL on that though)

I have not gotten to drive it due to monsoon season here in Ohio, and I've only had it running for about 2 minutes (with several breaks in between freaking out and trying to find what was burning). I've gotten no codes, yet.
This setup with my existing Corsa (which I had to cut about .5" off) sounds freaking sweet!!! I can't wait till it dries up so I can feel the power! A tune will also be done as soon as it dries up. Thanks to the FAQ's and all the information/help from those on this site. I never would have done the install without the help. 'Course I never would have started it either...
Dennis
Old 04-26-2005, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!

Yea I forgot about the smoking issues, for a moment there I swore my car was on fire after starting it. I mean I've seen residue burn off but this was ALOT of smoke comming out from the bay but, oh well, small price to pay in the long run.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine didn't smoke at all. Would've been funny to see
Old 04-26-2005, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by skippytheloon
mine didn't smoke at all. Would've been funny to see
Woulda been funny for me too if it wasn't my car!!
Old 04-26-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Theres usually smoke from grease burning off the surface of the headers. When i did my LS6 intake the car put out tons of black smoke, then cleared right up(completely different though).