Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kooks header help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kooks header help

Heres the story
Finally got my kooks lt installed with an off road y. The car sounds badd *** now. While i was driving it home i got a check engine light. Also when i was stopped at a gas station the idle started to bog a little and feel like it was going to stall. it got down to around 400 rpm then i had to give it some gas. Well got to autozone to have them check my light. The girl that did it said that it had to do something with the manufacture. something about the air. Im driving around with no hood on because my mecham hood is being sent to my body shop. Just curious what you guys think. She reset the computer and told me if it happens again to come back and she would rescan it. She thinks maybe an o2 got bent going in or the computer is trying to compesate for all the air flow. Im running o2's on the headers and sims on the Y. Also the guy hooked up my air valve. Could this be my problem. At the time i didnt know much about blocking off the air or really what the air did. The car definetly has a rich odor of gasoline as i was backing it into the garage i noticed. I realize this is by removing the cats which isnt a problem. Ive read that long tubes make the car run richer than normal. I may down the road throw some cats on. Ill see how it runs. I really would not like to get my car tuned right now because im planning on doing a h/c next winter and am planning on tunning it then. Thanks for any help
Matt
Old 04-29-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you get rid of the egr, air pump ,and cats? When i did mine it threw about 10 codes. ie secondary air code air pump low voltage code egr low eff code egr low voltage code and about 4 more for the cats.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Your air could maybe not be hooked up right because if it isnt that will throw you a code im pretty sure, thats why when you disconnect it you need to use block off plates and usually sealent so air doesnt get sucked in, also yes your car will be running rich from the long tubes so that might cause it but im not sure about that so if anyone knows let me know.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

conan. I have an 02 so im pretty sure i dont have egr. I did remove the cats. Now if i throw these codes is it going to effect my driving. i.e. is the computer going to screw with anything because the codes are thrown. Im going to take the car for anouther ride and see if the light comes on. If it does ill try and get the code numbers.
Is leaving the air with no cats a bad thing at all. Could i just disconnect the power to the air pump? thanks for your help
Old 04-29-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry i didnt see you had a 02. you shouldnt have a egr. on the driver side wheel well there is a plastic cover udo the 3 screws and you will see your air pump unplug it and remove it. The hoese's to the air lid and the ones that rap around the intake manifold remove them as well. It will clean up the engine compartment even more. You will get the ses light but it shouldn't hert performance. When you get the car dynoed they will edit all of that. hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Well i took the car out for a drive to see if the light would come back. And it did. After driving it a little i ran back up to autozone and found i threw 5 codes. actually 3 cause 2 were the same.
Im getting p 0506 idle control lower than expected
p1133 o2 sensor 1 bank 1 running lean
p1153 bank 2 fuel control

Anybody have any help or ideas?
Old 04-29-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like one of your o2's went bad during the install. You literally cannot let them touch ANYTHING or they're fouled. Even the oil from your finger tips can damage the o2's.

First, I would check your plugs and wires. Make sure the plugs are tight and the wires are on snug. You'll hear and feel two clicks when the wire is connected to the coil pack, but not on the plug. Just make sure you push the plug wire as far in as it will go over the plug.

If that doesn't solve the problem, I'd get some o2's. Preferably the rear vette ones, since you don't need an extension and guys have been having better luck with these and LT's.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

thanks. any idea how much the vette o2's are or a part #. Also any idea about why my idle control is lower.