Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump Leak????? Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Water Pump Leak????? Help

My pump has a small leak on the passenger side where it bolts to the engine block on the top most portion of the waterpump, its coming from around the gasket not the weep hole. The leak is only when it has been preasurized and it is only like the size of a needle like stream. weird huh? what do you think i should do, the whole water pump or just the gaskets????? I have had no overheating no change in temp at all just obviously just low coolant level. Im going with the gut and just replacing the gaskets but I want some more gut feelings so throw em out there. I really appreaciate it and if so please send me some good short cuts here cause this looks like a pain in the "rectola."
Old 04-30-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If if indeed is coming from the sealing area, the gaskets should be the only thing you have to replace. I would inspect the sealing surfaces of the pump and block to make sure they are smooth. The water pump is easy to remove and be thankfull you do not have a '98. Paper gaskets are a royal pain in the *** to scrape off.

1. Drain the coolant from the radiator.
2. Remove the Airlid, MAF and bellows.
3. Remove the belts (good time to inspect them for cracking).
4. Remove the radiator hoses (good time to inspect the for cracking).
5. Remove the water pump bolts.
6. Remove the water pump.
7. Make sure the sealing surfaces are clean.
8. Put it all back together.
9. Fill with 50/50 and disconnect the TB coolant hose to let the air out of the system.
10. Once coolant comes out of the metal tube, reconnect the TB coolant hose.
11. Leaving the radiator cap off and start up.
12. Check for leaks and allow the thermostat to open and top of the radiator.

That is the jist of it.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Replace the gaskets. GM changed the gasket design because the old design allowed the rubber gasket material to shrink and pull away from the metal. New design doesn't allow it.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:22 AM
11 Second Club

well i met up with all my fbody friends and 1 had a torque wremch so he torqued them down 1 lb over the specs, the bolts all turn at least 1 and some 1 and a half turns WOW thats alot it is an 01 camaro and has metal gaskets there are no leaks now but im going to preasure test it again to be safe. i could not believe how many times these bolts turned wow huh? car only has 30300 miles so shes in good shape and still runs a good 12.90 in the cold months of course and 1310 in the warm months here. thanks for the posts. 1 more thing what is the TB hose from the above post hmmm????
Old 05-01-2005, 11:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by ponyeater01LS1
1 more thing what is the TB hose from the above post hmmm????
Throttle Body coolant line. Coolant runs through that hose and circulates inside the throttle body.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

ah got ya im a ding dong i was just stressin and tryin to fix the prob but i did it last night new gaskets i didnt have any torque specs so i just snug them down pretty good hopfully this solves my problem, i really hope cause im drivin it to minnesota today from north carolina. theres no leak everything checks out so i guess its worth a try.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey where is the weep hole on the pump. I have a leak and trying to see if coming from there but can't find it. Thanks. Oh yeah and you know how much pressure comes out of that little steel tube for the TB bypass? Can I just cap it or is there too much pressure there?