Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What/Where/Why

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What/Where/Why

Just finished up doing the 6.0 swap last weekend and I came back home today to try and finish up. I was about to put the headers on and realized I had not hooked up the wiring to the starter. So, I did that and then realized there was one more connection and I have no idea where it goes. The connector is located on the passenger side down near the bottom/back side of the block and comes from the same piece of the loom where the small wire to the starter comes out as well as the connector for the oil level (?) that connects to the side of the oil pan. I have looked and looked and have no clue as to where it goes. It is a purple, 3-prong connector and has "PED 25" on it. Anyone know where this goes?

Also, after getting this engine swap done, I got into the car to put it in gear to put the new crank pulley bolt in and the clutch pedal has approx. 75% play in it before it actually does any work on the hydraulics. What's going on here? Will this clear up when I get the car running or did I do something wrong?

LAST question, i promise, is that I tore up one of the gaskets where the headers connect to the Y pipe. They look like they are layered paper and are pretty cheap. Any idea where to pick one of these up, or any ideas as to what else I could use (by the way they are old hooker shorty headers and an SLP y-pipe).

If anyone actually read up to this point I thank you.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That three prong connector might be the crankshaft position sensor located right above the starter.

The clutch hydraulics may need to be bled if it got air into the system.

The cheap paper gasket can be bought at most autoparts stores. Its ~$5 for a pair of them.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by felton316
That three prong connector might be the crankshaft position sensor located right above the starter.

The clutch hydraulics may need to be bled if it got air into the system.

The cheap paper gasket can be bought at most autoparts stores. Its ~$5 for a pair of them.
Where is the CPS specifically located. I thought that was on the top of the back of the block, by the engine oil pressure connector. I looked all around the starter but didn't see anything to connect it to. Could it be that it's in a different place on a 6.0 block? If you could take a pic or something of the sort that would help a lot.

Last edited by ArcticZ28; 05-08-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

The one located by the oil sending unit should be the cam position sensor. The crankshaft position sensor is located on the block a right above the starter. It may be different on the 6.0, but thats where it is on the 4.8/5.3/5.7. I don't have any pics of it, I would have to pull the starter off to get the camera in there.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the help. I think I'll post a new thread to see if anyone knows where it is on the 6.0 or if i'm just an idiot and it's in the same spot.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

One more question... how would air get into the hydraulic clutch system by swapping a motor? Could it be that my pedal has so much play b/c of something I messed up while reinstalling the motor into the tranny?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Did you disconnect the hydraulic line from the transmission when you went to install the new block? If that little quick disconnect is popped off, it can allow air to briefly enter the line.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by felton316
Did you disconnect the hydraulic line from the transmission when you went to install the new block? If that little quick disconnect is popped off, it can allow air to briefly enter the line.
Yep, I believe that's what happened. Didn't think about that one. Thanks for the info!