Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure problem

now i have done searches and cant find exactly anyone that has had this problem. my oil pressure starts out fine at about 45-50psi when i start it up and stays there for awhile but as soon as the engine gets hotter the oil pressure starts to jump around and sitting in traffic today my pressure went down to 20 and stayed there at idle and when i push the gas pedel the pressure goes up to 40. the gm dealership told me that it is prolly the sending unit and i just want to make sure before i spend the money to fix it and i dont think its my oil pump. also when i put it in park it goes up to 35 psi so i cant figure it out. anyone know what the deal is??????
Old 05-11-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had "similar" issues after having my motor rebuilt . Just yesterday I replaced the sending unit while I was in there for the knock sensors being loose . I watched all the way to work today and back and havent seen it do it again . It seems that the hotter the motor/sending unit gets , the lower the reading . The new sending unit has read about 10 psi higher than the old unit ever read ! It tops out at about 78psi at WOT , and the old one topped out at 60psi . Hope my rambling helps !
Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
now i have done searches and cant find exactly anyone that has had this problem. my oil pressure starts out fine at about 45-50psi when i start it up and stays there for awhile but as soon as the engine gets hotter the oil pressure starts to jump around and sitting in traffic today my pressure went down to 20 and stayed there at idle and when i push the gas pedel the pressure goes up to 40. the gm dealership told me that it is prolly the sending unit and i just want to make sure before i spend the money to fix it and i dont think its my oil pump. also when i put it in park it goes up to 35 psi so i cant figure it out. anyone know what the deal is??????
Old 05-11-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

yeah thanks i just need to get a new sending unit than, that is alot better than having to replace my oil pump which i know isnt bad since it give pressure just the sending unit is a POS. thanks 1999T/A glad to see i am not the only one with this problem lol