Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header question IMPORTANT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Header question IMPORTANT!!!!

Hey guys,
Just got done with my header install tonight. They sound great and i love them. Question though i got the pacesetters and on the passenger side, the 3rd header bolt in the holes wouldnt align so i tried forever and i mean forever, is that ok, there were 2bolts right next to each other? Also what about the Y pipe it bangs against the floor, how much room should i leave between it and the bottom so it won't?
thx rob
Old 05-14-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

DOES ANYONE KNOW?WILL IT BE OK, I AM GUNNA RETORQUE THEM DOWN TOMORROW, I PLAN ON DOIN HEADS IN BOUT 6-8 MONTHS? WILL I BE OK? OR SHOULD I TRY TO GET THAT BOLT IN?
thx rob
Old 05-15-2005, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would keep trying. Make sure you have the gasket on and aligned correctly. It's not the end of the world if you are missing an exhaust manifold bolt, but it would be more likely to leak.
Can't help you on the Y-pipe, I ditched mine. Search should help though, it's a very common problem.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

unless your header flanges are cut wrong, they should line up fine. i'd keep tryin to get that bolt in, headers are one of those things that need to be tight(not that anything should be loose, but headers especially).
Old 05-15-2005, 02:53 AM
FormerVendor

I've run into this problem before but after a trying a few things I always managed to get all the bolts in....

if they wont all go in when the header is loose, try and get the front and the back ones in first and then tighten them down and then try and get the others in.....if that doesnt work then stick the two middle ones in and tighten down...this should help expand the flange out to get the rest of the bolts in, I'm guessing somehow the flange must get shrunk during manufacturing.....you also might try lightly prying on them with something that will give you good leverage, just try not to scratch off the coating

If somehow nothing works and you have to leave one out you should be fine especially if its one of the two middle ones, but its best to get all the bolts in

hope this helps!!
-Zach
Old 05-15-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah it does, i am about to go try and get it in again. I am just affraid that i may strip the head of by trying, it goes all the way in but like 2 thread and the top the the bolt.
peace rob
Old 05-15-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Actually after looking again today, the hole in the header was drilled too high so only part of the hole in the head shows. So i decided to leave it out, i am going to call pacesetter, but is it ok to leave that one out for awhile? i retorqued them all and there all tight. Or is it not even anything to worry about?
thx rob
Old 05-15-2005, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldnt' worry about it. Might listen for an obvious exhaust leak, but you should be fine. This reminds me, I"m pretty sure that I am missing a bolt b/c I broke it off in the head. Forgot about that. hmmmmm Have to check it when I get my car back if I don't forget....
Old 05-15-2005, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=blkZ28spt]Can't help you on the Y-pipe, I ditched mine. [QUOTE]

What Y pipe were you using and what did you switch to ?
Old 05-15-2005, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLPSS01
Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Can't help you on the Y-pipe, I ditched mine.
What Y pipe were you using and what did you switch to ?
Actually I went straight from stock manifolds/Y-pipe to Jet-Hots/true duals. Never had to deal with an aftermarket Y-pipe.