Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KOOKS Headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default KOOKS Headers

O.K. Lets see if anyone can give me a clue on what is going on.

I have had my KOOKS 1 3/4 in headers with catted Y for over a year.I have a 2000 firebird formula firehawk. I installed them myself. Install was very straight forward. The problem I am having is on the driver side the Y-pipe hits when you hit the gas fairly hard. I still have the factory SLP exhaust. I did not cut the I pipe any at all( wonder if that is the problem). I have pushed the Y-Pipe onto the collector as far as I can get it to go. I have talked to KOOK's about it they said to bring it to them unfortunatly I am in Texas the are in New York or somewhere up there. HAs anyone else had this problem? If so what did you do? KOOK's said I might need a tourque stap. I think that is a little on the harsh side. The motor is stock except for the headers.

SCNHRA
Old 05-16-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A poly motor mout will help with the engine not torqueing over so much.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my y banged the floor for about two week and somehow fixed itself. Dont have the problem anymore
Old 05-16-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is a very common problem... do some searching if you're interested... but basically the engine torques over under hard acceleration and the little bit of space between y-pipe and floorboard is not enough to prevent contact. Mufflex sells a nifty little hanger thing that reduces the effects, its a little more civilized than putting rubber hose or welding a valve spring inbetween the pipe and floorboard... check out www.thunderracing.com for that... but the poly motor mounts seems to be the best solution, it keeps the engine from torqueing over and should keep your pipe away from the floorboard
Old 05-18-2005, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Well I thought, I had done something wrong. I did a search and found nothing on Kooks headers except people wanting to buy them. They are a little diffrent than others so I was reluctant to do what others have said about things such as Hookers. I thought that Kooks had there stuff together for when I talked to them they had never heard of the problem. It had to be a worn out motor mount or something on the car I was told. The car has less than 15,000 on it. Sound kind of soon for that. I think I will replace the motor mount. I was trying to stay away from that for my last car a 1992 Z28 I had them and they place alot of resonance in the car. Anyone have that problem?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could do the heater hose mod - put a piece around the ypipe and that will prevent it from knocking around.