Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!AIR question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !AIR question

I am planning on ripping out the AIR system tubing tomorrow. Basically with the nitrous setup I am changing my spark plugs pretty regularly and every time I do I need to disconnect the AIR system tubing from the headers to get some hand room. Anyways, I have had the block off plates forever (like a year, car has been in storage since last summer) and am finally getting around to doing it.

My question is: I know from previous posts removing/disconnecting the AIR unit under the driver side headlamp will throw the SES code. However, if I left the unit there and just removed the hose all the way to the unit would it not throw the code? If I do this would I have to plug the hole that the hose connects to on the unit or would it be safe just letting it blow into the atmosphere? Should I worry about water getting into it?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2005, 02:04 AM
Launching!

I'm pretty sure you'll still get the code. The air system just blows air into the exhaust stream to help the cats on cold starts. Removing the hose will be just like it wasn't functioning and will eventually set the light.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:38 AM
Teching In

I have been wondering the same thing. Most everyone says the SES will come on. It is strange to me that the 2-3 minutes of the air pump on (and only when engine is cold) would cause the SES to come on when disabling it!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The PCM doesn't check whether the pump is connected electrically, so taking the pump out won't cause the SES. But it does some other check over many driving cycles - I think it checks whether the O2s change when it turns on the pump. So if it's not working you'll get the SES eventually.