Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everyone with Borla....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everyone with Borla....

I just want to know how it sounds IN PERSON with long tubes and catted or non catted y pipe....Its hard to tell with sound clips online....I am about to get LT's now im debating on a catted y or ORY...THANKS
Old 05-20-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a 99Z A4...didnt have LTs, they were mac mids, ory, and borla. Open plate was a lil raspy as was the 3/4 but when i put the smallest( think it was 1/4) plate in, it sounded fairly good.
Also had this exhaust on my SS 6sp along time ago with cats and the wide open plate sounded awesome to me. whatever the case, you'll have 4 plates to experiment with so u should find one setting that you like.
once again i know u asked bout LTs but hope this helps anyway.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:38 PM
Teching In

I have QTP full headers, there Y pipe with NO cats, and with no plate in, it was very raspy.........16 year old kid..down the street with glass packs...raspy. I put in the smallest plate...still to raspy for me...the sound waves never make it past the passenger side exhaust. I put in the blocking plate, and man.......my car sounds awsome. Only bad part is drone...which you will get a bit of, but when I start my car...people listen and smile. If you have cats....it will tone it down a bit, and you have 4 different plates to mess with.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:08 PM
12 Second Club

Pacesetters with pacesetter ORY, it sounds good except from 2200 to 2400, there is some rasp there, but anywhere else it sounds mean as hell.

Kevin
Old 05-20-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the kooks 1 3/4 LT w/ catted-y. Before the LT's the Borla sounded best w/ the small hole in the plate. Kind of a tuned exhaust sound. After the LT's the exhaust seemed to have rasp on the down rev w/ either of the plates with the hole. Amazingly enough though it sounds much more crisp with no plate at all. It does rasp when the motor and exhaust is cold but once you get the exhaust hot it just sounds flat out ignorant. Very crisp at the tap of the throttle. With the exhaust closed of completely it is still crisp but the tone is just very controlled and mellow. Also has a noticable more amount of low end torque. I don't know if this helps any but I have heard cars without cats and LT and its not pretty. Besides with a good set of cats like what Kooks and QTP give you your only sacrificing 3-4hp. I plan on going with a borla QTP cutout for the best of both worlds.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

My car is only slightly raspy for the first 3-5 minutes driving the car. Once, it is warmed up, no problems. FLP LT's + FLP catted Y + Borla "open(no plate)" catback = GREAT sounding exhaust.
I had a previous problem which was repaired:
I also run the Z06 cam. I had the Borla 1/4 open and it was real raspy. I figured I would have to sell the catback and get another brand. As it turns out, the piece of crap band clamp which holds the ypipe to the catback came loose and the pipe was practically falling out. So, after a trip to my buddies exhaust shop today, and a little weld, my problem was fixed. I lit 'em up in the parking lot and the Borla was screaming. Driving home, the sound was more isolated to the rear of the car whereas before it was a drone(since the exhaust was practically falling off). Concluding, I found the raspy sound, I am keeping the exhaust, and IMHO this is the best sounding setup for exhaust. It has a nice rumbly idle and SCREAMS at WOT. By the way, I have no plate in the passenger tailpipe. I removed the plate all together. My car sounds awesome. Now after a full tune and dyno run, the slicks are going on and to the track I go! Whohoo.
Moral of the story: Weld the ypipe and catback and you will have no problems!
Old 05-22-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im not sure how it will be..I have a borla, and i just picked up the pacesetters with the ory. Im gonna be installing it soon, once my hand heals up i will let you know how it sounds. I dont know what plate is in my borla since i bought it already installed. I will probably take it off so i can see which one is on, and just run it ompletely open.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:15 AM
On The Tree

Just had pacesetters with ORY installed. I've got a borla and GOODNESS, I love the way it sounds... Deeper tone now. REAL quiet at idle, a little raspy like these guys say but I'm not complaining. It really roars. I'm VERY happy with the sound
Old 05-22-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got Jet hot (hookers) with ORP and Borla. I run all through the muffler and LOVE the way it sounds. It is raspy from around 2200-2600 - that's my only qualm. But my money would be you'll love it if you go that way.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Default borla

My friend has a 98 m6 with a borla cat back. I just installed hooker long tubes and the texas speed and performance y-pipe with cats and it sounds close to stock at idle but when you get on it it freakin rips (sounds good).
Old 05-22-2005, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Same here, I've got Pacesetter LT's and TSP ORY with the SLP dual/dual catback that came with the car (01'SS). It sounds a little deeper, not much louder than with the stock manifolds & y. I think alot depends on what cat back you run.