Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quieting exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quieting exhaust

I need ideas to get drive my camaro to work in the morning.I leave my house at about 5:30a.m. Parents will never let me drive it because the neighbors will complain.I have a big cam long tube headers and true duals that dump off at the axle plus a lot more. The only idea I have is to roll the car off the drive way and push it down the street.I would rather not be able to drive the car than change my exhaust(b/c td's are the best exhaust ever made)so any ideas not involving a new exhaust system would be greatly appereciated.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

It'll take some $, but I do think you can make it quiet enough. I'd recommend 30" Sweet Thunder (www.sweet-thunder.com) chambered mufflers in the thickest form. This is the longest you can get and will be significantly quieter than a 18" Bullet or even Twister. Plus these chambered mufflers are as big as a regular pipe so they won't hurt ground clearance. On top of that, get some of those Dynatech cones to put in your true duals where they connect to the header collectors. If you do this and it's still too loud (at least to your snooty neighbors ) I suppose you could attach some bullets right after the Sweet Thunders, but I doubt you'd need to do that. good luck as I bet this is a royal PITA, but I think it's possible to quiet down TD's.

Jason
Old 05-27-2005, 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

Fu$% the neightbors! i can care less if they get mad..
Old 05-28-2005, 03:17 AM
10 Second Club

I **** mine off every morning at 4:30 when I leave for work. I have the sweet thunders dumped at the axle.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:42 AM
Staging Lane

It's your car, keep it how you want it. If the neightbors complain that much, they can pay to have it made quieter.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BuBbABFP
Fu$% the neightbors! i can care less if they get mad..

Spoken like a true butthead Invest in the Sweet Thunder chambered mufflers. It'll quiet the TDs down enough and still sound badass.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Launching!

thanks for the ideas,I also couldn't give a damn about my f*&%ing neighbors,but it's the parents.I love the sound of my 12" Dynomax mufflers too much to change them out but do you think those cone insertss would help any because I also had that idea too, but didn't want to spend all that money and still; have the car be loud as hell.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by monsterls1
do you think those cone insertss would help any because I also had that idea too, but didn't want to spend all that money and still; have the car be loud as hell.
I haven't had any experience with them myself, but Dynatech has a good reputation, and they've made these for awhile now. I can't see them not working. If you end up doing something about your exhaust, try the cones first. If it's still too loud, get the 30" Sweet Thunders.

But before doing anything, I suggest going to each of the neighbors who have complained and discussing it with them. Be courteos about it. If you're nice to them and maybe offer to do a few things for them once and awhile such as lending them the use of a lawn mower if theirs is broke, I bet they'll loosen up with you about your car.

Jason
Old 05-28-2005, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

I have 3" TD's with the 18" twisters, 3" under the axle pipes with 3" I.D. resonated tips. It sounds great, flows great, and it's quiet.
I started with regular TSP duals with bullets; sound great but too loud.
Then had the 3" tailpipes made up; way quieter in the cabin, incredibly loud behind the car, sounded like **** anytime EXCEPT at WOT, waay loud.
Then had the bullets replaced with the twisters; quieted things down cosiderably, but got really bad rasp throughout the entire rpm band.
Then installed the resonated tips; quieted things down even more, took out the rasp, sounds sweet AND quiet. The trick is to get tips made for pipes larger than you are actually using, so the inside dosen't neck down smaller than your exhaust. I love this setup. I live in a quiet residential neighborhood, I leave at 5AM, and the neighbors respect the fact that I've done what I can to quiet her down.
Oh and when I want to, it takes 5 minutes to unflange the tailpipes and remove them, dumping the exhaust after the twisters, and it sounds naasty all over again!
Old 05-28-2005, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Oh and I tried those vortex inserts too, they do just a hair more than absolutely nothing. Total waste of money.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What about some 1 chambered flows. I have the 18 inch bullets, and its nuts how loud it is.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Teching In

The longer a bullet the more sound it will absorb and it will flow the same. That said find longer mufflers.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would continue the duals out to the back, and put a second set of bullets or twisters under the trunk.